My chicks keep putting shavings in the water bowl.

swizz37

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 30, 2010
Hello

I just wanna know if anyone else has this problem. My chicks keep filling up the water bowl with bed shavings every day. I constantly have to clean it out but they do it again. I thought they maybe scratching while they were eating, since the bowl was near the feeder. So, I moved it to the opposite side of the box but lo an behold, it has shavings in it again!!

Any reasons why or solutions?

he.gif
Have no idea but mine do it also. I must change there water 4xs a day!

It helps to set the waterer on a plastic tray, clay flower pot saucer or similar so that it's kept away from the shavings by a couple of inches in all directions. But, the thing can't be very deep OR slippery -- I find that a shallow clay saucer to a flower pot works well.

That keeps a LOT but not ALL of the bedding and debris out of the water, so you can change it less often, maybe only 2 times a day instead of 4 times

I put the waterer on a paving slab. Its about two inches high but by day 4 they are all able for the jump up but they cant scratch the sand into it that way. But that first four days the stupid little cheepers pack it solid with sand atleast three times a day! Jump in, drink, jump out with wet toes and jump right back in again with sandy feet, jump in jump out jump in jump out
rant.gif

Lol I thought I had it, when I cleared an area out away from the bedding for the bowl but this morning they had the whole bowl buried under shavings urrrgh!

Maybe they are just letting me know when it's almost empty lol. I guess I gonna have to get a waterer.

Back
Top Bottom