1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicks keep shaking their heads. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gumpsgirl, Apr 7, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    My 3 wk. old chicks keep shaking their heads, like something keeps bothering them. Is this normal or is there a problem with them that I need to address? [​IMG]

2. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Mine did (and still do that) because they have AE

3. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Sorry to sound stupid, but what is AE? Thanks! [​IMG]

4. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
  5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

What kind of head shaking, is it a nervous type, or is it in response to a sound? I know some of my chicks will shake like they have something in their ears if you hum loudly at them. Is there a computer near by? Could the sounds of the HD or monitor be disturbing them? Like those really annoying high pitched sounds that come from them that a lot of older people can't hear, but drives undamaged youth ears insane.

6. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I get what your saying! The computers are on opposite ends of the house (I mostly just use the laptop anyways) and they don't constantly shake their heads. Maybe it's when I am being to loud around them??? I went in and feed them this morning and nobody was shaking their heads. They are just doing it sometimes, like something is bothering them. Maybe it is a sound. I just wanted to be sure! [​IMG] Thanks for the advice and I will try to quick panicking over my babies all of the time!!! [​IMG]

7. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Are you using shavings or papertwoels? shavings are in my opinion too dusty for chickies sensitive airways and not only that but they can ingest them which will cause all kinds of potential problems.

8. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I am using pine shavings. My dad told me to use newspaper when I first got them, so I did that for the first week. Then I found out that was bad on their little legs, so we went to shavings because that is what everyone else says to do. Now I'm finding out that shavings are wrong??? I can't use paper towels, because they will just shred them up and get them all over in the water. We had that problem with the newspaper too! What am I supposed to use then? [​IMG] Thanks!

9. thornberryvillage

thornberryvillage Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2008
    I'd say stick with pine shavings.

I get 50 laying chicks a year, plus 25 meat chicks a week for 8 months a year, and all I use in the brooders is pine shavings...never a problem.

Bob

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by