My chicks new favorite table scrap--roast pork!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by eggsontoast, Jan 29, 2011.

1. eggsontoast

eggsontoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    North Atlanta suburbs
    I gave my girls about 3 ounces of a Boston Butt pork roast I had slow-cooked the previous day. All chicken civility went immediately out the window. They were chasing each other...grabbing pieces out of each others' beaks....even the lowest chick on the totem pole was fearless when it came to snatching a piece of pork. Too funny!

2. Me & My Peeps

Me & My Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    Yeah, its fun to watch them eat. I fed mine some watermelon this last summer and after they realized what it was and how it tasted......I was considering not giving it to them again! They went NUTS! Fighting each other, taking pieces that were too big to carry and trying to run with it. Too funny!

This summer im going to get a chair and set it next to the run with a few cocktails, before I toss treats in there.......Good times...

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I had a nice spiral-cut ham late last year and when I was done eating what I wanted, I put the bone out for the chickens. The next day, there was nothing left but BONE. And I mean, BONE. No cartilage, no fat, no nothing but bone. Amazing. It was the first time I had given them any meat product at all. I've mostly given them fruit, veggies, pasta, bread, BOSS, oatmeal, etc.

I know they're omnivores, just hadn't given them any meat. Now I toss them the mice killed in my new RatZapper traps. Hoooo boy, talk about some Keep Away Games there!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I opened a can of Salmon [wild caught ]of course, and you would have thought they hadn't been fed in weeks. My ducks just stand their shaking their heads.

5. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    What we all fail to remember is that we have small dinosaurs living in our yards and that any kind of meat is fair game! My mini-raptors will devour any meat or carcass. They will also try to kill any small bird that happens to land in the lawn. Well, anything that moves that is smaller than they are is fair game!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by