My Chicks! (pictures!)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by VeggieGoneEggie, Apr 18, 2017.

1. VeggieGoneEggie

VeggieGoneEggie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2017
    Land of Enchantment
    Okay, a new mama's allowed to brag, right? I finally pulled my nice camera out to take some decent pics of my 6-day-old chicks (1 Barred Rock, 1 Black Sex Link, 1 Delaware, and 2 Easter Eggers) before they get any less poofy! They grow too fast!

These are my first ever chickens and I am in love. They already have such individual personalities already, and I'm eager to see them grow up -- most importantly happy and healthy... and ideally as the pullets they're supposed to be... [​IMG]
    And I'm a dork so created profiles for them. [​IMG] Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's been easy to tell my two Easter Eggers apart because of their head marking - and I've been SOOO excited to see what they grow up to look like, because (from what I've read here) it's nearly impossible to predict their feather coloring based on their chick fuzz (right?). I'm fascinated by the subtle difference in their wing feather patterns. Is it barring? Lacing? Pencilling? Anyone have some light to shed here?

[​IMG]

In other news, you know how the feeder is designed to prevent a mess? Clearly, they've figuring out how to scratch their chick feed out of those little holes. It must taste better off the ground!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for gawking at my chicks along with me! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  2. sassysarah123

sassysarah123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Aww so cute!

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I love how you set this up! [​IMG] I always enjoy it when people are so taken with their "babies"! Thanks for sharing with us, and keep enjoying them, they're the best! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. meetthebubus

meetthebubus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2017
    Your chickie babies are so cute!

5. s k y

s k y Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2017
    My, so cute!!

1 person likes this.
  6. VeggieGoneEggie

Mar 25, 2017
    Land of Enchantment
    Okay it's been almost a couple of weeks (wow!) since I brought home my first baby chicks, and a lot has happened! I've already built a new big brooder when it became painfully obvious that they would outgrow the original very quickly. And grow they did! Here's some updated photos, plus a little surprise at the end...

[​IMG]
    Claudia the Barred Plymouth Rock. By far my friendliest baby and unparalleled mealworm enthusiast.

[​IMG]
    Donna the Delaware. My second friendliest chick and the biggest eater as evidenced by her persistently engorged torso.

[​IMG]
    Josephine the Black Sex Link / Black Star. My little tomboy with the best foraging skills and enjoys dustbathing in the grit container.

[​IMG]
    Amelia the Easter Egger. Big and gorgeous, as usual. Always the one I've most suspected of being a roo, but we'll see...

[​IMG]
    Ainsley the Easter Egger. I mean look at her. This is the most beautiful baby chicken the world has ever known. Sweet and shy.

. . .

And now... drum roll please... the surprise....

[​IMG]
    Zoey the Speckled Sussex.

Because when you go back to the feed store for more mealworms, and they have just *ONE* Speckled Sussex chick left in the stock tank, leftover from last week's delivery, THEN YOU FREAKING BRING THAT BABY CHICK HOME. Period. I'm thrilled to report that the new tiny one is settled in nicely with my current brood!

7. meetthebubus

meetthebubus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2017
    aww so sweet of you! i hate visiting the feed store because i know i can't bring more home right now (the bubus wouldn't have it) lol so cute though

I also hate visiting it because I see empty water containers and desperate ducklings :(

8. sassysarah123

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Such cuties!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  9. VeggieGoneEggie

Mar 25, 2017
    Land of Enchantment

I know what you mean - I'm starting to want to avoid it because I can't handle the temptation!!!

My feed store is a small family owned shop (i.e., not TSC), so luckily that take in chicks/ducklings in small batches and take really good care of them. Always have water, always look happy. I'd be so mad if I saw some somewhere with no water!!!

10. sassysarah123

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    These are my chicks at a few days old[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by