1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicks seem bored.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CutestChickenFarmer, Jul 20, 2007.

1. CutestChickenFarmer

CutestChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware
    Hi everybody. My chicks are about 1 1/2 weeks old and are healthy and eating and doing great. However, they seem really bored. They want out of their brooder but they're too small to go anywhere else. They have lots of room, food, and water, and the temperature seems to be comfortable for them. Any ideas on what I could put in the brooder to keep them busy? Are they too little for snacks?

Susan

2. slystr

slystr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    I put a pet bird roost bar in with my chicks at about that age.
    on a different note, Where in De are you? I was from Newark and I made my coop an homage to my home. Delaware chickens in a Delaware coop . I'm homesick.

3. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi, do they have a container to dust bathe in?? That might help or maybe a mirror?? How about some blocks of wood or make them some baby chic sized perches.
    I used to throw spanish moss in when my babies were little... they loved to eat & sleep on that stuff. I guess yall don't have any up where you're at. [​IMG]
    If they have some grit try some crickets or mealworms... short lived entertainment lol
    Miriam

4. CutestChickenFarmer

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware
    Thanks everyone. I do have a bar for them to roost on but they haven't take any interest in that yet. I put them up on it and they flap and jump off and look at me like I'm nuts.

I'll pick up some parakeet grit today so I can start giving them a wholesome treat here and there.

Thanks!

5. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Hey Chicken Farmer,

I'm new to chickens but everyone says avoid parakeet grit because it contains calcium and can really be bad for babies. Everyone here says to use play sand for them, because it's sterilized and contains no nutrients to throw their systems off. Hope that helps!

Amy

P.S. I learned this only AFTER I'd gone to three pet stores to find parakeet grit, so hopefully this reaches you in time. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I would give mine a thin strip of paper or cloth and they would play "chicken keep-away" hours

7. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Go out tonight and buy the last Harry Potter book and read to them! [​IMG]

8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    When my babes were bored I went out and picked long pieces of grass and clover and wild strawberry leaves for them to pick through and scratch in. The back yard is organic, so I knew it was all safe. I also discovered they LOVE to eat Queene Anne's Lace blossoms. I'd put a little jungle of stuff I picked in one end of the brooder, farthest from the light, and they'd play in it until it was trampled flat.

9. CutestChickenFarmer

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware
    Play sand it is! Thanks for the tip.

I'll go out and cut some things that look interesting from the yard and pile it up in the corner. I'm sure that'll keep them busy for a while! Thanks so much.

10. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Be careful with blades of grass. They can cause impacted crops if they are not in managable pieces.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by