My chicks sick feet update....treating with tea tree oil.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by festivefeet, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. festivefeet

festivefeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Hey there.

Wanted to update about my 2 week old buff orpington. Her name has changed from Charlotte to Pip-squeak.

I read somewhere to treat chicken skin conditions and bumble foot with tea tree oil. I figured it was worth a shot since nothing else was working. I started applying on a Qtip a few times a day...while also applying lanolin cream once a day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Her feet are now scabbing over and the scabs are falling off to reveal normal looking skin. I am hoping this is a sign that treatment is working.

To her dismay, something has now happened to her eye. I don't know if someone pecked it or what, but she isn't opening much and it has a red mark on it. Not sure what happened. Hopefully it will get better with time.
    [​IMG]

Jessica

2. Forgotten Amber

Forgotten Amber Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Wow, I use tea tree oil for the family. The reason I would never have thought of it with my chickens is my cats HATE the smell so I wouldn't think of it with animals.

If it helps, I have mixed tea tree oil and lotion for the family when it comes to dry and broken skin. I just made it a little runny with the oil and it soaks in well.

The feet look so much better and I'm so happy for you! [​IMG]

Amber

3. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    I belong to a company in which I am not allowed to say the name on a public forum as it is then a form of advertising. But their products are made with tea tree oil and we use all their products as my son has bad eczema but not since we made the switch about 4 years ago. Everything you can think of from soaps to lotions to household cleaners. I love tea tree oil.

4. festivefeet

festivefeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    My daughter (3 yrs) has bad eczema problems too. Major. She actually has been having flair ups recently. How do you use it on a child? Straight from the bottle? The oil that I purchased came from Whole Foods.

Thanks for the input. I hope my chick continues to get better. Although, I am a bit concerned about her eye and some red marks on her beak. Not sure what that is all from.

Jessica

5. Forgotten Amber

Forgotten Amber Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Jessica,

I don't know about the eczema, but I use tea tree oil for cuts and such straight from the bottle. I've also mixed it with lotion to rub into larger areas like my feet when they are extra achy. It is amazing stuff [​IMG] .

Amber

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by