My chicks smell HORRIBLE!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newtothis, Mar 22, 2013.

1. newtothis

newtothis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2010
    So we have had chickens for a few years now and this batch is the first time I have noticed a smell. They are 5 weeks old and they stink! Not the brooder ( I change that up pretty regularly). but if you get a whiff of the chicks they smell so stinky! Is this normal?? They are outside during the day now and I bring them in at night since they aren't ready to be introduced to the other 2 ladies we have. Thoughts on what it is?? Do I actually give them a bath? My other 2 hens that are about 3 don't smell at all and are obviously outside day and night!! The smell is too much when we all get up in the morning...stinky house!!!

Thanks!!

2. At 5 weeks they are more than likely ready for the outdoors anyway huh? Maybe a good dust bath station outside will give them a fresh scent. Best of wishes. At least they don't like refusing to the taking of baths like my kids do. Ha!

3. saellis

saellis Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2012
    FEMA Region VIII
    My Coop
    Mine seemed to be getting smelly too but I discovered a bunch of wet pine shavings under their waterer last night when I was doing a complete brooder clean out. The shavings on top were completely dry and there wasn't a big build up of poop yet but the place was smelling bad due to the wet bedding. This morning the smell is gone and I was greeted by 6 happy pine-scented chicks.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by