My chicks survived their first night in the coop! Me too!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gumpsgirl, Apr 20, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I went out and checked on my babies at 6:00 this morning (DH said I had to wait until then [​IMG]) and they did great last night!!! It was their very first night in their new coop and I was a nervous wreck! They did do fine though and boy was that a relief! My DH acts like he's not that interested in the chicks, but let me tell you, I think he is more interested than he let's on to be. I went outside to check on them one more time last night at 11:00 and he had to go with me! He also had to go with me this morning to check on them. I think he's been faking this whole time! [​IMG] I also broke the news to him this morning that our local farm supply store is getting their last shipment of chicks this week and I was going to get some. He said, "Okay"! HOORAY! [​IMG]

By the way, I would have gotten some more anyways! It just is better now that I have permission! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I put my chicks out on Firday, my first hatch, and I was out checking on them at 1am. I know what you mean about freaking out. I was a nervous wreck. I have a heat lamp out with them because it still gets a little cold at night. I loved watching them. They were getting dirt all over them and I told my DH I would have to bring them back in because they were dirty now and they needed a bath. LOL. He looked at me and said I was nuts. I just went out their this morning and left them out in the run. I wind is blowing and I didn't think they would come out but when they saw me they all came running. I love them. I guess they are growing up. [​IMG]

3. Penske

Penske Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Gunmpsgirl, how old are your chicks and what is the outside temp at night??? I'm moving mine today-13 days old, and I am nervous--testing the heat now. I have 13 chicks--all cold hearty breeds

Lisa

4. petlove

petlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2008
    Skiatook, OK
    I put mine out yesterday, as well. They all did fine. They love the extra room. They are so funny running and flapping their wings. All is well this morning.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Mine are RIR's and are 5 weeks old. The temp here was 49 last night. I also have a heat lamp out there with them, which they were all under when I checked on them this morning. [​IMG]

6. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Glad to hear that yours did good too! Thanks for sharing the pics! They do look happy [​IMG]

7. Cheep Mama

Cheep Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm glad the transition went well!!

8. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    petlove, I really like you coop. Looks like they are injoying it.

9. Penske

Penske Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Petlove,

We are admiring your coop and your girls...
    what are the "shelves" for? The other side is the roost and droppings pit???

Lisa

10. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    Congratulations on surviving the "first coop night" jitters...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by