my chicks tailfeathers are bleeding!! What do I do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by okiemommy, Jun 1, 2008.

1. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    my chicks tailfeathers are bleeding and a couple of the chicks are pecking at it. He is also occasionally pecking at them himself. What do should I do about it and why are they pecking him? Please help [​IMG] Thanks!

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

For more detailed help try a search.

Condensed version. Make sure they have plenty of room. If you are using a light/heat lamp use a red one. Petroleum jelly (vaseline) on the spot. Antibiotic like Neosporim. Maybe BluKote. I think I read something like putting a tablespoon of salt in a gallon of water and then changing back to plain water the next day.

Like I mentioned before though try a search of the forums. It might take a while but there is information there.

My light brahmas were having this problem a couple of weeks ago.

3. okiemommy

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    ok thanks! I will look it up.

4. lovinthechickens

lovinthechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    northern SD county, CA
    Ya, my turkeys had the same problem... i separated him from the flock and put a little neosporin on it for about a week and a half and it hasnt came back :]

5. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    I would separate the chicks with the bleeding tail feathers until they healed. I had a chick that had a bloody wing and all the other chicks were pecking at her wing. I couldn't take it so I isolated her, but so she could see the other chicks. I was amazed how fast her wing healed. I also put neosporen on her wing.

6. lovinthechickens

May 30, 2008
    northern SD county, CA
    great minds think alike [​IMG]

7. okiemommy

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    ok cool! Thanks for the advice! I haven't looked up past the past threads yet, but I will do that tonight. In the mean time, I will separate them. I didn't see it until after the bulk of the pecking happened as I have been keeping my two year old twins and my 3 year old away from them or they will love them to death...literally.[​IMG]

8. okiemommy

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    lovinthechickens: Two of my chickens are Buff Orpingtons. I think they are absolutely beautiful!!! I saw Buff Hooligans Buffs and I fell in love!

9. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Yep always great [​IMG] minds...

10. lovinthechickens

May 30, 2008
    northern SD county, CA
    Quote:Yay for buffs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by