My chicks think I'm a monster :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by krcote, Feb 21, 2009.

1. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I started my flock with adult birds last spring. I just had my first ever hatch about 3 weeks ago. What a shock when those little fuzz balls didn't look at me like the "Food God" like my older girls [​IMG] I keep food in the brooder at all times so they don't associate me with good things... I've tried introducing them to greens, but they just think my hand has gotten bigger and greener (gasp!) HELP! How did you get your babies to LIKE you!? How long did this take?

2. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    my chicks are scared of me at first but when i pick them up they will roost right on my finger they are just shocked when something a million times bigger just shows up just give them time and hold them atleast once a day mine are only 2 weeks and cuddling up real nicely

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:just be paitient with them it will come on it's own, I got some new pullets last september and now they run behinde me and it is hard to get red of them [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Well, I've got 24 little beasts in there- should I be handling each one every day?

5. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    maybe not eah one they just have to get use to you being around they have to relize your like there momma just spend a few time by the cage/brooder just like petting them and pick a few up every once in a while

6. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I have NEVER EVER had a friendly chicken that liked me to hold them. Never. I have no idea what others do but apparently they spend a lot more time with their chickens. I really don't have time to hold chickens. I feed/water/clean three times a day and that is about it. [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    How are you approaching them?
    Think about it for a sec. A chick's brain is hard-wired from hatch to be on the lookout for large things swooping down and grabbing them up and having them for supper. What then does a human that swoops down and scoops them up look like to them?
    Move slowly, speak quietly and get down on their level. It takes patience, but they'll come around.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have 4 juvies that were hatched at Christmas time. A good friend of mine got them for his wife but was never able to get the coop built and so a couple weeks ago brought them for me to take care of. We kept them in a large brooder until this week when we let them out with almost all of the others. They have to hide from the big hens so we take them to a little area in our backyard where they have a feeder and a bowl of water and lots of grass to eat and poop on [​IMG]

Tonight as it was starting to get dark they started cheaping and walking up and down the fence closest to the coop...not being able to find a way in.

I walked to the west side where we have a little 3 foot pet fence to keep them off the covered back patio one of the little EEs (that I think is the only roo in the group) looks over sees me and walks up sizes me over and fly's right up onto my right shoulder. At that I walked him over to the coop, opened the door and he flew in!

I had to go back over and catch the other three.... two are black stars and one is one of the most interesting EEs I think I've ever seen.... Pics tomorrow!

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Most of mine don't like to be held either but I have a Buff Orpington that loves to be held, the little EE and the Blue Ameraucana juvie pullet.

I'm hoping I can really bond with my new chicks.

10. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I did have a couple of silkie chicks that liked to set on my hand but I did hold them a few times and they got used to it but now that they are moved outside they are scared of me just like the rest. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by