My chicks want to fly out of their coop - what to do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HenNewbie, May 7, 2009.

1. HenNewbie

HenNewbie Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Dayton, Or
    I built a little brooder to keep the babes in the laundry room until they can go out to the real coop. The brooder is 2' x 3' and 2' tall. The top is covered with rabbit-type mesh which extends down 1' in the front where it opens and I can then bend the mesh back for access to the babes' water, food and for cleaning.

When I do this two of my girls want to fly over the 1' high wall of the front. My girls really like to stretch their wings...

They are two weeks old today. Is there a good way to train/encourage them to not try to fly the coop/brooder??

I'm afraid they will get hurt (i.e., stuck behind the washer/dryer or something. Although they might actually come to me.... Everytime I go in the brooder, they just want attention and climb right up on my hand and try to climb up my arm.

2. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    The easiest solution would be to just trim their flight feathers. I've never tried it on chicks that small so maybe it isn't possible, but I know that's what I've had to do with older chicks. Look up a diagram of what to cut and it's really simple. Much better to do when they are little! Just keep in mind that they will grow back and you'll need to trim them again.

3. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    They may be jumping to the top of the brooder. I keep 2x4 wire on top of our brooder to help keep them in. Even then they sometimes get out. Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by