My chicks were caught in a storm-they're soaked!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by littlelemon, Aug 20, 2007.

1. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    My chicks are 3 weeks old. I have been putting them outside in a pen during the day for the past week. Today a storm snuck up on me and I forgot about the chicks outside as I was busy shutting the windows and getting the kids inside and such. My daughter started yelling about the chicks and I ran outside in the rain and threw a tarp over the pen. It was all I could do, it was storming and I wasn't willing to risk my safety.

Luckily the tarp did not conmpletely blow off the top, but the chicks were out there for a good hour before I felt it was safe for me to get them in. They were soaked to the bone. It really got cool outside and I am worried that they were too cold and wet for too long-that they may get sick. My daughter and I wrapped them up in towels and I dried them off with a hair dryer on the low setting as well as I could. They are all huddled together sleeping now. A few of them ate a little bit, and they all look good except for the smallest one, Tiny, and I am worried about her because she seemed very wobbly on her feet when I put her back in the brooder, and she shivered for a long time after we brought her in.

Has this happened to anyone before? Can chicks catch cold or die from cold?

2. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Put a light over them for additional warmth. They sure can get too chilled and have a tough time getting warm enough again without help.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    A chick that is not fully feathered (under 6 wks old) cannot regulate their own body temperature. I agree with adding a lamp for extra heat. In addition, keep a close eye on that little one, so he doesn't get piled on top of and smothered.

Jody

4. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    Man what a storm that must have been! Thunder and lighting for a whole hour! Wow!

Hope they are doing better now. Warmed up and dried off?

5. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    I wanted to post and add an update-

All the chicks are fine. We were so relieved. My daughter loves them and was so worried, as was I, but they were up and peeping the next morning as if nothing had happened. Thanks for the sympathy everyone [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by