1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicks will be here Friday!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Happyfarmwife, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Happyfarmwife

Happyfarmwife Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2008
    SW Oregon
    I ordered 25 chicks from Welp Hatchery and they will be here on Friday. My girls are so excited.

I ordered 5 Californian White, 5 Barred Rock, 5 Buff Orpingtons, 5 New Hampshire Reds and 5 Black Austrolorps. I ordered all pullets, with the exception of the Barred Rocks, they are straight run. That way I will have a rooster or two.

I sometimes feel guilty about having a mixed flock with one type rooster and if any set, then I will have mixed offspring. But then again, I am not selling them or breeding them for show. Just to replace my own hens later on.

I would like some information on what others think of this.

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    You should not feel guilty. If you where to sell hatching eggs I would mark them as barnyard mix or something. But like you said your not. I have a mix flock and I am happy to see a contrast in my yard. I love every single one off my babies [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by