My Chicks will not eat.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Pollitos Mami, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Pollitos Mami

Pollitos Mami Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    The Caribbean
    I live in S. America and all of the items (incubators/food/& other miscellanea things) are not available to me here. However 3.5 weeks ago I purchased 4 baby chicks - not sure of ages or breeds because here it's not so much a hobby as it is a way of life.

However the chicks were kept in a large metal "showcase" and I chose 4 and that was that (2 reddish and 2 black). They may have been up to 2 weeks old. But now that I have them they only want to eat the yellow pellets (which are pumped with chemicals) and no other food. Before I joined the forum I read they can eat cooked white rice, sunflower seeds, dried oatmeal and other grains and fruits. But they do not eat any fruits or veggies or seeds or rice. They sometimes will eat soft tortilla but that's it and oh yeah one of them ate a gecko - whole... Not sure what to do. Also not sure how to ID breed because I'm not permitted to post pictures on the forum yet. Although I have posted them on my blog looking for help. But since I'm a New Yorker none of my readers know anything about chickens and pretty much feel its gross to eat food not purchased at a grocery. LOL PLEASE help me. I'd love to be a great Pollito's Mami but I'm feeling like someone should call CPS. [​IMG] Thanks for your help.

2. 2DogsCoop

2DogsCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    If you want to post pictures just reply to a bunch of posts, I set up a photobucket account and posted with no problem, good luck.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    [​IMG]

At two weeks of age, it is okay that your chicks are eating only starter feed. I'm not sure what brand you are using that is "pumped full of chemicals," but perhaps you could find a better brand. If they are being given food, or catching their own, other than starter feed, they will need chick grit (or equivalent) to help them digest these other things.

Good luck. Glad you are with us.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    My chicks ate crumble and bugs until they were more like 4 weeks old. If it didn't move or come in that familiar crumble form, it wasn't food. Then, they started trying rolled oats and greens. And that was it -- the switch in their wee brains flipped and their willingness to try different foods now seems limitless.

I'd just keep offering and they'll "get it"...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  5. Pollitos Mami

Pollitos Mami Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    The Caribbean
    Hi thanks for the replies. I've asked around and since this is again S. American "Chick Grit" is not heard of. I've even tried to translate it to Spanish but "grit" is not the same. People believe I'm talking about ground chicken. LOL Which they've suggested I buy in a grocery store. Being that this is not America things are done quite differently. No one is really sure what I'm talking about from incubators to natural food. But again thanks for your help. I'll just feed them the chemical pellets until I can figure out how to trap the snakes geckos and scorpions in my yard. And I think my chicks are closer to 6 weeks now. (I bought them at maybe 2 weeks).

6. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Quote:Some people use a course sand, I believe, when they are little.

7. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Try offering them pulled grass. It was the first non-feed crumbles my chicks took to, then lettus. Now anything I put in with them they will try. Talk to farmers or farm feed stores about other chicken feed. Scorpions [​IMG]

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Yay Chicks! :

Quote:Some people use a course sand, I believe, when they are little.

Correct sand can be used as grit. The chicks will eat sand its needed for proper digestion for all chickens.​

9. 5Leepy!

5Leepy! Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Best way to catch scorpions is with a black light (the glow under it) and a pair of tongs. A flashlight will work in a pinch.

10. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

You can use parakeet grit available at your grocery or pet store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by