My chicks wont eat the veg.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rich Marshall, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    I have 10 day old chicks. Yesterday I purchased chick grit and I put down some chunks of cucumber which they didnt touch and today I put down chunks of tomatoes and still they are not interested. Am I feeding them the wrong stuff this early? They also have thier starter feed which they eat like the world is going to end and they are growing like weeds. What other treats should I try.

2. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Its kinda like what your used to.Just keep pumping that starter in them ...Down the road they will enjoy veggies....cva34

3. snoggle

snoggle Chillin' With My Peeps

I think the problem might be that you are feeding "chunks". They're probably too large for 10 day old chicks. I've diced veggies into tiny pieces and mixed them with mashed up hard-boiled eggs and their feed. My 3 week olds go nuts for it and eat every little bit. I've varied the veggies every night (basically they get our leftovers) and they haven't turned anything down yet. Try cutting them up smaller and mixing them with other foods that they you know they will eat.

4. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    The first treat I usually give my chicks is crushed cheerios. I sometimes give them uncooked oatmeal (rolled oats) also this age. I pour some in my hand and let them eat it out of my hand.

5. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    YOGURT!! They will love it. I had to put little dots of it on the side of the brooder for them to peck at the first time I gave it to them, after that they knew what it was! [​IMG]

6. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Veggies never were popular among the kids, were they. :p J/k - you should try a piece of lettuce. I hold it out in my hand, and everyone comes crowding round, tearing pieces off. very popular.

I agree with the suggestion about mixing your veg up with the cooked egg, chickens love the egg and probably won't mind so much about eating the veg then.

7. PeepinChicken

PeepinChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Cody, WY
    My little peeps just go nutso for cut up worms !!! they even do the Chicken keep away game it's TOO funny

8. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Mine won't eat vegtables either. Tried chopping into smaller pieces still not dice. They won't touch a dried mealworm either. Haven't tried any live ones though. Uncooked oatmeal is a fav though.

9. polishchickens111

polishchickens111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Over there
    Do you feed them by hand?
    If so, they might take more interest if you hold the veggies.

10. PeepinChicken

PeepinChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Cody, WY
    My gals are starting to like broccoli, I stick it in the side of their brooder and they take turns pecking it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by