My chicks won't eat their chicken starter

BabiesNChicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 1, 2014
NSW Australia
Hi everyone, I have 7 5-day-old Orpington chicks. They really don't eat their food at all! I give them a boiled egg yolk to share and some oats every day because I am worried that they don't seem to eat their food! But I only give them as treats (they have to eat treats out of my hand) and they love both the oats and yolks and go crazy about them!

As soon as they have their treat they go straight off to sleep but the rest of the day they seem to be cheeping quite a lot. They always have food and water, some branches and a scratching box in a big brooder and the temp is fine so I don't know what to do! I know they are only meant to have the chick feed at this point!

What should I do? Just keep doing what I'm doing and hope they develop a taste for chick starter from hunger? It's my first time and I am really clueless! I hate them cheeping away and me not knowing how to help!

Thanks!

Try wetting it into a mash in a shallow dish. Can use warm or cold water.

We started this with our new chicks to give them something warm because it was so cold out, and now they prefer it to the dry.

Wetting the mash is a good idea, you might have to give them some out of your hand at first because that is what they are used to, then get them to eat out of the feeder....stop feeding them other things until they get onto the chick starter real good.

Back
Top Bottom