1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicks won't tame :(

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Crehan, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Crehan

Crehan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    Montgomery, AL
    I have lately got 10, 3 week old Australorp chicks.

Since I've got them I was the only one feeding them and playing with them for about an hour every day and just being in their presence for hours. They eat out of my hand and come running when I scream "Kos kos kos!" but when I try to pick them up they start peeping and flapping their wings. And they are sort of scared of me in a way. I am very gentle with them and patient.

Can anyone tell me if they will ever tame?
    And if they will, how long will it take for them to get totally used to me and allow them to pick them up etc? [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Their natural instinct is to fear anything and everything. This is a survival instinct. You are HUGE from their perspective. Give them time.

3. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    just give them time.mine would run and squark when i tried to pet them.right before they started laying they would do the squat thing.and then they let me pick them up.

4. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Mine all got tamer once they reached laying age. Just keep handling them and giving them food and treats. They'll return the love eventually.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    The majority of chickens are not the cuddling kind. Even if they are imprinted on a human, instinct tells a chick to keep their feet on the ground at all times. Instinct tells them to run from the giant thing hovering over them (Hawk attack!). When chicks first hatch their vision is very limited and can see what is in front of them. At this age they are more concerned what is just in front of their beak. This encourages foraging behavior to search out food. As they age their vision improves, and they become very aware of loud noises, things coming toward them, and hands (claws) reaching for them. At 2-3 weeks chicks explode in a frienzy and zip all over the place. 3-4 weeks they zip, freeze in place, and pretend they are invisible. At 4-6 weeks they fling themselves wildly to avoid capture.

If you want to make friends with chicks you have to get on the floor/ground with them and put yourself on their level. Move slowly, keep your voice soft, and give them treats. But always remember it is not their nature to be petted or cuddled by a hand.

Allow them to explore your body with what they have:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As they get older they get braver (better vision)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Never forget what they are: chickens!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  6. Alumentum

Alumentum Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Fernandina Beach Florida
    I was having the same issue with my barnevelder chick. I just used treats and let her get used to standing on my hand while it was on the ground. Slowly I'd lift my hand up and over time she's gotten to where she flies to my shoulder. Just takes patience.

7. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    My Australorp, "Ruth", was very skittish and even mean at first, until she was about 8 weeks old. Now she is quiet, sweet, pretty, and lovable. DOn't worry! They'll come around [​IMG]

8. Crehan

Crehan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    Montgomery, AL
    Thanks for your advice guys![​IMG]

9. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:EXCELLENT TUTORIAL! I love it [​IMG]

I have a small flock of 13 chickens, all bantams. Some are flighty, untouchable. Some would rather be mistaken for a lap poodle. I would venture to say that one adored me (he's on a farm with his own family now) and daily flew into my arms for lovin'. I like what theoldchick says, "Never forget what they are: chickens!" I try to respect their individual nature, give them a little of whatever they seem to want. I'm not very demanding. I'd say, if your chickens never warm up to being pets, respect that. Then, shop around for chickens who love being pets, and add on to your flock with those!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by