My chicky family

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by thefishery, Oct 20, 2009.

1. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Since I'm new here I thought I'd show off my girls [​IMG]

This is Jake and Henny Penny, my first pair. I've had them for a year now. They were just about a year old when I got them so I'll say they are two now [​IMG] I gave the old man down the road $11 to give me a rooster and hen. He took my crate, threw in some food and it was rushed with chickens, guineas, turkeys, ducks..you name it. He pulled birds out one by one until there was a rooster and hen left. That is how I got them. I don't know what they are other than a rooster and hen, but we love them.

Henny Penny was too good to show her face for a picture. She's a little stuck up and doesn't have time for fun and games. This chick is all business!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are my new girls. My husband named them Juanita and Sarah, the only two faceless characters from Andy Griffith [​IMG] We got them from a festival that just went on around here. There a lot of people selling birds and rabbits. I went planning on adding some hens. Henny Penny just isn't feeding a family of 5.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And because I like Jake so much.... Here he is playing peek-a-boo in the weeds
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

They look so happy with all that grass to eat and play in!

The brownish red ones look much like my hen called Queenie that I think is a Redstar or Red Sexlink.

3. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Very pretty!! and [​IMG] You may find that 3 hens doesn't feed a family of 5 either (depending on how many eggs you eat). [​IMG] DH and I kept up with 6 hens with occasional eggs going to my MIL. But, we eat a lot of eggs between breakfast, snacks (deviled eggs/hard-boiled/etc) and baking. You're roo is GORGEOUS! Not sure what he is, but he is very pretty!

4. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] From Northern California!

Where are you from? Glad you joined, we all have so much fun and learn lots too!

[​IMG]

5. thefishery

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Quote:We plan on getting more. We just enlarged the run, it is huge! We are building up some more nesting boxes and I just put some more perches up in the coop. We easily have enough room for at least 20 but I don't think I want that many right now. We've built two smaller enclosures along with our main one. I'm wanting to use then for hatching eggs [​IMG] I'm just taking my time. We've been looking at some hatcheries. I don't know if I should wait until winter is over to get some babies or not.

6. thefishery

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Quote:I'm in Kentucky [​IMG] I guess I could go edit my profile and all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by