1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My child has a infected wound now

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jlillethun, Aug 22, 2013.

1. jlillethun

jlillethun New Egg

May 22, 2012
    On our homestead we LOVE to hold our chickens and they love to be held. We got new chicks and have been letting our 6 and 10 yr old children hold the chickens. The other day one of the chicks (who really is about 3 months) decided she wanted to put up a fight and she scratched my daughters arm. Now it's a week later and my daughters arm has a nasty infection. We have taken her in and she is now on antibiotics but I was curious......what kind of infection could she have gotten from my chickens. Any answers would help.

Thank you

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Probably a lot of different infections - if the bird had poo on it's feet(very likely) or if it was a puncture wound that didn't bleed (tetanus), etc. If it was a cat instead of a chicken, you could get cat scratch fever. Really scratches or bites from any kind of animal can be problematic.

Really kids/adults should wear goggles if they are going to have chicks/chickens up by their face. They are attracted to shiny things , earrings, eyeballs and they can cause severe injury.

3. jlillethun

jlillethun New Egg

May 22, 2012
    Well we know for sure it came from the chicken and not a cat. I'm just hoping it's not going to turn into something really bad. Should I do something to treat my birds....I normally don't vaccinat them, or treat their poo area? I just don't want this to happen again

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Any scratch from any animal can cause an infection. Did you treat the scratch when it first occurred? I always clean and apply an antibiotic ointment on any scratch,from any of my pets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by