My Chinese Painted quails escaped!!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jak2002003, Jul 14, 2019 at 6:06 AM.

1. jak2002003

jak2002003 Crowing

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    My pet quails escaped the outdoor aviary yesterday and I spotted them pecking about on the back lawn. When I approached them they all flew up high into the air and away.

They were really tame and I am surprised they were spooked by me, as they usually run to me to get food.

Anyway, they always whistle back to me if I whistle to them. So I walked around the area whistling like they call sound. I found them all in an orchard down the street, but I can't see them. If I whistle they call back to me. I spotted one near the edge, but he hid in the long grass and was out of sight at my approach.

I have one left in the aviary. I put him in a small cage in the orchard and he is calling to the other birds all day, but they wont come near him.

My birds are all white ones, and there is a lot of cats around the area. If I can't get them back soon they will be cat food for sure.

The orchard is so overgrown with thick tall grass up to my waist and I can't see the ground through the plants.

Any ideas what to do?

PS. I put food out near the caged quail. But they are not interested as there are lots of insects, seeds and fat grubs all over the place, so they are not hungry!! ARhhh!!!

I have had them for 3 years and really love them. Here in Thailand they are very had to get hold of in the pet shops and are very rare to find. I am so upset and frustrated as they are so close but I can't get near them.

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

My best suggestion is go with a flash light or head lamp after dark and a find and capture them if you can while they're sleeping. Their white should reflect the light and make them a little easier to see.

:fl

3. jak2002003

jak2002003 Crowing

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    That's a good idea.
    I just go ready to go out with my phone torch. But, suddenly its raining really heavily!!!

I will try later, but I can't get far into the orchard as its like a jungle with really dense overgrown shrubs and grass.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: