1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Chipmunks - What are we? <clearer pics of darker one added>

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by helmstead, Feb 3, 2009.

1. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    From MM - can be any of the heavy brown egg layers OR a free rare chick...guesses?

One is a light chipmunk, one is a darker, reddish chipmunk with facial markings like a Wyandotte.

<<Sorry about fuzzy pics - camera hates low light>>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The last pic looks like a GLW to me. I have one of those--looks like my Vada did.

3. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    That last chick is a cutie [​IMG]

4. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Okay here are two clear pics of the darker one...see the pinfeathers? GLW? (yup - I am taking care of the pasty butt)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still having 'discussions' with my camera, playing with the settings. The red light is messing with it on the lighter chicks.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  5. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    That does look a lot like my MM golden-laced wyandotte baby did. I bet you're right. I hope it turns out as beautiful as mine did. She's my biggest, prettiest girl!

The other, I'm not sure about. Maybe it's your rare baby, and it's an EE? It doesn't look like my McMurray RIR's did. They had no chipmunk striping at all.

6. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Well the light chipmunk is being lost to shipping stress...it'll probably be gone in the first part of today.[​IMG]

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Sorry about the light chick. The dark chick could go lace wing or partridge, since partridge will bar on wings early.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Ok, I see the rose comb on it---GLW ( the dark one )

9. HeelerDawg

HeelerDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2008
    Southeastern,Kentucky
    The light colored 1 looks like some Sicillian buttercup chicks I had but I'm not 100% sure that is what it is.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by