My Chooks (Pic's) What do you think?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KiwiChook, Aug 22, 2007.

1. KiwiChook

KiwiChook Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2007
    I've rescued these chooks on the weekend. Friends bought a house and found 6 chickens all penned up in the backyard. We guess no one has been caring for them for quite some time as no one has been living in the house for over a month. Having never owned a chicken before I was hopping for some expert advice, so joined the forum.
    I've wormed them both, checked between the feathers for lice and mites and given them plenty of water and food.
    Thy seem happy enough (friendly), very noisy (clucky), and there stool seems health enough too. Im assuming the feathers will grow back now we have separated them from the 'peckers' and they are being feed properly.
    I guess the big question is will they lay and can you tell how old they are from the photos? I'm thinking they may have stopped already and this might be why someone left them behind?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  2. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    hard to tell how old they are from photos. They are full grown but look skinny. They will probably start laying again when they fatten up and get used to their new home. They look like Rhode Island Reds to me, which are good layers, so you should have eggs when they settle down.

3. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    Aw, poor things! Yes, their feathers will grow back--if I were you, I'd give them a bath and rub some oil on their legs; might make them feel a wee bit better. Once you wash off their legs, you can see how white they are (whiter is older)--a fair determination of age. My BR hen kept laying until she was about 4-5 years old.

4. mommahento5

mommahento5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    South East Indiana
    They look like red sex links to me, which should be great layers. I agree with previous poster, once they settle in and have some TLC (tender-loving-care) they will probably start to lay again. Their legs look like they could use some attention....they seem quite "scaley" to me. Then again, my girls are only 22 weeks old, and I have to other previous experience, so many older girls legs look like that.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They look like they're molting right now. Give them lots of good protein feed and fresh water and take care of any lice/mites that may be on them and they will probably perk up tremendously. They may not lay until after their molt is over. My RIRs look pretty ratty right now, too, although not quite that bad. Their looks are probably a result of molting plus no decent food.

6. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    i dont think they are RIRs...look like gold red sex links to me. Dunno how old they are but i reckon they will start laying again when they are fattened up some.

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

The little stick poking out are from moulting, when the bird sheds it's feathers. Once moulting's over you should have eggs. My Leghorn Obelisk is four and she was laying up until her moult.

8. Sabrinainmiss

Sabrinainmiss Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    Gothenburg, Nebraska
    I just do NOT understand how people can just leave animals uncared for. I have no respect for people like that. :mad: Thank goodness they now have a loving home and will be taken care of. With lots of love they should become healthy and happy. After they molt and realize they are being cared for I bet you will have eggs. God Bless you. [​IMG]

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Look like red sexlinks or low quality production red's that were sold as "RIR". Good thing you got them in your hands and can make them healthy again!

10. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with a previous poster...the legs look they may have scaley leg mites (of course it could be the camera angle). You can't actually see the mites...but the scales on their legs start to lift instead of being smooth.

This is EASILY treated. Almost any oil/grease will work, like vaseline, olive oil, orange oil, but the best is tea tree oil because it has natural antibiotic and antifungal properties as a bonus.

Just clean their legs (I only do this if they're really dirty)...then rub the oil on...just enough to make it shiny...no need to drip. You can also rub their roosts...kind of as a preventative --so the mites don't go wandering to another chicken. I actually use the tea tree oil on my chickens and use orange oil on all the wood surfaces in the coop.

Are you from New Zealand? I'm guessing because you used the word chooks and kiwi's are new zealanders! If so, it means spring is around the corner for you...so your gals should lay eggs for you once they've finished their molt!

Enjoy!

Sandra

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by