1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my chooks wont lay, why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by manualname, Aug 23, 2016.

1. manualname

manualname Just Hatched

Aug 23, 2016
    South Australia
    i just got 11 new layers, all in batches of three or four with about a week between each and now from 13 layers i only get three eggs, i checked other threads and nothing has seemed to help, 3 of them are fairly old though. would the introduction off a new rooster do this

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and sorry for your frustrating lack of eggs. First off, a rooster will make no difference to whether your girls lay or not. Secondly - how old are your birds? Signs of them thinking about laying includes a reddening of the comb, wattle (as well as squatting for you, when you approach them). Compare the faces of those that are laying, to the others and you should see a physical difference in colour.

CT

3. manualname

manualname Just Hatched

Aug 23, 2016
    South Australia
    my girls are not very old i dont think . i bought them from a fodder shop

4. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    Seems it will be a game of patience - one of the worst chicken "games" ever [​IMG]

5. manualname

manualname Just Hatched

Aug 23, 2016
    South Australia
    will the coming of spring make a difference, im just losing money on food at the moment

6. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    Could well do, maybe check out with your neighbours on the country thread i gave you the link to (on your other post) - they'd be best placed to advise.

Good luck

CT

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Moving birds to a new place causes stress and they often stop laying for anywhere from a few days to a few months.
    Adding more new birds in also causes some stress.

Knowing how old they are can really help, but often hard to accurately determine unless you raise them from chicks.

Time to adjust to their new surroundings and the coming spring on your end of the world should produce results.
    There are many times during the year when keeping chickens that more feed is spent than eggs are received.

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Google the Chicken Chick....Very help full with experienced information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by