My Christmas day Bob chicks are sick and cant figure out illness

Discussion in 'Quail' started by buckmaster71, Jan 28, 2012.

1. buckmaster71

buckmaster71 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2011
    I hatched 78 chicks on Christmas Day.Couldn't have been happier.About 5 days ago they started dying.No symptoms.They're eating and drinking.There are some signs of diarrhea.They just seem to lay down,fall over and not get back up.I've examined some of the deadones and couldn't see any signs of UE or Blackhead.Im giving them a mixture of meds now and don't know what to do.I'm down to 24 birds.I've never seen anything like it.Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    so sorry to hear, just asking, but you sure your feed isn't moldy? just a thought, there has to be a general problem for them all to be dropping like that. whats your brooder setup like?

3. buckmaster71

Dec 21, 2011
    My feed is ok but Ive been able to watch them a lil while this morning and some do have diarrhea but thats the only symptom.Ive got one dying in my hands right now.He dont have pasty butt or nothing.I cant see anything obvious.Maybe I'm overmedicating them now.I dont know

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sounds like it could be cocci. Look closely for blood in the poop. Is your feed medicated? If it is not, you might try getting some corid at the feed store. It goes after the cocci issues. Make sure to keep everything REALLY dry. You can slow the outbreak down by getting your quail on wire. 1/2 hardware cloth. That way most of the poop falls thru the wire as that is were they are getting the cocci. Keep the brooder temp a bit higher than you normally would so they are a tad warmer.

If any of them go off their feed, which is common with cocci, you can feed them hard boiled eggs just to keep them alive.

Check your brooder temp make sure you are on track with the proper temps. Make sure they are not fighting and mortally wounding each other, which is common with Bobs.

5. buckmaster71

Dec 21, 2011
    I think you may be right.I gave them some eggs and they ate them right up.Corids one of the few meds I dont have.Do you know what the dosage would be?

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I believe it is a 1/2 tsp per gallon of water. Now if you don't have any corid, as I did not on my first batch of babies and had cocci outbreak, (and I am not necessarily recommending you do this, but I did and it worked til I got the corid), but you can give them Duramycin or Agrimycin, antibiotics in the water. It will help secondary infection if you do not have any corid and need to do something quickly.

Oh, and on the corid, it is mixed daily and served up for 5 full days.

7. buckmaster71

Dec 21, 2011
    Thanks alot.I've got some Duramycin.I'm going to mix some of that up now cause I may end up having to order the Corid.Thanks again.

8. buckmaster71

Dec 21, 2011
    You're going to get tired of me.What dosage of Duramycin do you give your birds?

9. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Nope, never tire of the questions...1/2 tsp per quart, 2 tsp per gallon of water, made fresh daily for 7 to 14 days, depending on how severe the issue is.

10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    SOUNDS LIKE ULCERATIVE ENTERITIS, BOBS ARE NOTORIOUSLY SUCEPTIBLE TO IT. ITS THE PRIMARY REASON WHY MANY RAISE BIRDS OFF THE GROUND, NOT PARASITES. BACTRACIN 200 GRAMS PER TON OF FEED (SORRY YOU'LL HAVE TO SHRINK IT DOWN TO A MANAGEABLE DOSE FOR YA) IS THE MOST COMMONLY RX'D TREATMENT... SAME TREATMENT WILL BE EFFECTIVE ON COCCI AS WELL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by