My Christmas Ornament Eggs :)

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by teach1rusl, Dec 7, 2011.

1. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I got this idea from Miss Prissy and her thread and was so excited to try it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=160244
    My
    egg production is WAY down (molters and broodies and youngsters...oh my!), so I was lucky to scrounge enough eggs to give this a go. There's definitely a learning curve, but I'm getting there. Here are some of the egg ornaments I made to give as gifts (and a few to keep):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Close-up view of a non-Christmasy one...
    [​IMG]
    I'm going to start collecting shells this spring. I have three young EEs that I hope will give me pretty green or blue shells too. I do like having a variety of sizes too...bantam to large. [​IMG]

2. Lovely!!!!
    [​IMG]

3. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Your eggs are very pretty! I am making them too-and you are right there is a learning curve. It seems like different rub-ons require different techniques.

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    OH! It was her 'double dog dare' that got you wasn't it?
    I adore your eggs.
    What did you do for the flowered one? is it tissue paper?
    It is lovely. [​IMG]

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I've thought about doing that too. Very creative! Is it hard to get the yolks out?

6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Beautiful eggs! You should be proud! I've been meaning to try this for a while, but haven't gotten the chance yet.

Did you paint the flower designs on your eggs? It looks like some are stickers or those rub on things, but I'm having trouble figuring out what else you used!

7. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    BEAUTIFUL! I got my idea to make mine from MissPrissy too! I've been making them for a couple years now and this year I decorated a little Christmas tree with them.
    My tree is in a contest and I could really use the support of my fellow backyard chicken keepers and crafters to win!
    The link is: http://www.CooperBoone.com/eat/contest and I'm entry #35, Kathy M. Thank you for your support!

Here's my tree and a few of my ornaments:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Very pretty tree-love the little winter chick ornament! All the others very pretty too! [​IMG]

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Thanks guys! [​IMG]

3goodeggs - No. They're all rub-ons (scrap booking section of craft stores). As I said, there's definitely a learning curve. So it probably looks crinkly either because the rub on was a bit crinkled or because I didn't do the best job of painting the modge-podge on [​IMG] And the dare was a nice kick start...lol [​IMG]

chicmom - I took someone's advice from the original post (see link), and used a large (needless) syringe to "suck" most of the egg out, then the rest blew out easily (small hole in top, slightly larger hold in bottom).

chickerdoodle - Just rub-ons [​IMG] I bought several different kinds to experiment with.

The paint pens and such (gold/silver tones) can add some nice touches too.

adozen - I was just looking at your tree and eggs earlier (and voted [​IMG]). I'd commented about your gemstoned egg - I'm going to try that kind too! I'm hoping my will eventually look as polished as yours [​IMG] I was looking...you used regular Christmas ornament tops, didn't you??? Are they hot glued in place???

farmerinkc - post pics when you've tried a few!!

10. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Beautiful eggs.............. ddo you spray them or coat them with shullack to make them so shiny...... Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by