My chukars are laying eggs--please help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LamarshFish, Mar 26, 2015.

1. LamarshFish

LamarshFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2015
    Hi Guys. I'm new to this forum. I bought two chukar partridges in December. While they are notoriously difficult to sex, I was confident that I had a rooster and a hen. What I thought was the rooster has a notably blockier head, is slightly larger, makes noises a lot and is defensive over the pen. This morning, I found an egg. So, I know at least one of them is a hen, and I'm confident the other is a rooster.

I was told to wait about a week or two until she lays about a dozen eggs, then she will start to sit on them. At that point, I was told to remove the rooster, as he will just continue to chase her around and she will be unable to sit on the eggs. From there, once the rooster is gone and the hen can do her maternity stuff, if everything goes right, she should hatch the eggs.

If that sounds way to risky, I have no problem buying an incubator, but I just need some guidance and tips if I do that.

If anybody has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Josh

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  2. LamarshFish

LamarshFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2015
    Oh, here's a pic of the first egg : )

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by