My Cinnamon Queens (Agn sigh) Crazy chickens!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rickochet, Apr 5, 2012.

1. rickochet

rickochet Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    In the Country!!
    Well after everyones help all has been calm here the past 11 months, the ladies have been laying six almost every day (six hens/one rooster) and the buff finally grew up to a big beautiful rooster that no longer has to be seperated do the girls trying to kill him.I bought him young and later then the CQ'S.Now they have turned on one of the hens.The past couple of months I have been letting them out before sunset and they go back to roost after munching in the yard.One was always a little reluctant to go back in.Then I started noticing her roosting alone apart from the others.The other night she did'nt want to go back in and stayed in a thicket at my tree line.Given up I closed the coop and wished her well as we have coyotes that run around here not to mention the other predators,we live out in the country.
    The next morning she was alive and well walking in the yard.Same thing that night not going in, so I left her out agn.Not wanting her to get eaten the third night the wife and I got her herded back in.The next morn my wife hollered at me to go see what the commotion was in the run.The rooster started on her and the rest like to have finished her off.The back of her neck was featherless and bloody and she was hunkered down in shock.I got the others in the coop shut the door and added a small make shift coop to the run and let her get back to health.
    So now its the same except I let her out of the run in the morn so the rest can come out. She hangs around the yard then I will let the others out for awhile before dusk then they go in and she wont, she goes to the run. Last night she was pacing back in forth in front of the coop, the door was open to the run where she has water,feed and a roost with cover but she wanted in the coop.Seeing the others on the roost I let her in and she went in and hid in a laying box.And yes she has been laying an egg in her new abode in the run.
    I checked on them a couple times and all quite.Till this morn.I was watching the sunrise and enjoying my coffee when here she comes flying out the coop door into the run with buff hot on her trail peckin at her back and trying to spur her.As she is healed and not wanting her hurt agn I ran down opened the run door and she ran out happy to see me.
    I have been off for two months do to surgery but will not have time once i go back to guard this one chicken so once agn I am asking your advice.My friend who got me into this last year say it survival off the fittest at his house and just laughs when I tell him my stories and blames it on my " Halfbreed chickens " and by the way they are not as docile as the CQ websited claims , tho they havn't missed a beat since they started laying. Thanks agn , Rick.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  2. rickochet

Nov 14, 2010
    In the Country!!
    Well she decided she wants to be under our deck and my Jack Russell wants off the deck so he can have her.I think I will call my friend to see if he wants her. Problem solved.

3. rickochet

Nov 14, 2010
    In the Country!!
    not getting to many replies to this ,does it need to be reposted elswhere? I usally have several of the old schoolers advice by now. Some one let me know .Or maybe their all at work ,lol, to which Im not cuz of my surgery.If a moderator sees this please advise as their behavior to the other hen has me baffled.

4. rickochet

Nov 14, 2010
    In the Country!!
    was wondering if someone can help me with this ? or point me in the right direction?

5. rickochet

Nov 14, 2010
    In the Country!!
    My wife said I my try to simply ask has anyone known of a group of chickens turning on one after being together for a year?

6. rickochet

Nov 14, 2010
    In the Country!!
    i have reworked my original post to help ,let me know if you have any ideas

7. rickochet

Nov 14, 2010
    In the Country!!
    killer chickens!!! they are chasing the one all over the yard now!!!

8. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    I'm not an expert or anything but maybe the rooster is just mean and doesn't like her. Try just separating the rooster and leave her with the other hens. I've noticed with chickens they kind of follow the leader so if your roo was attacking maybe the hens just thought they had to do the same. I dunno just thought it would be worth a shot. Hope someone else helps you out good luck!

9. rickochet

Nov 14, 2010
    In the Country!!
    amarius,thanks so much as i am new that makes sense, my friend keeps telling me that chickens are bascially cannibals and once blood is drawn they are relentless.So with the rooster drawing first blood the others simply followed suit.

10. rickochet

Nov 14, 2010
    In the Country!!
    To all I have bothered , went out to the coop for a final check and there she was laying by the outside of the coop .I picked her up and put her in the run shutting the draw door to the coop and got my rabbit cage and placed her in it for transport tmw to my friends.Did not want to take the chance of her getting attacked agn. thks and goodnite,rick. and amarious,ty you sir for the advice which meant alot to me.It seems this site has changed a little since I was last on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by