My class and I lost a dear, dear, friend and supporter

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WriterofWords, May 3, 2008.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'd like to ask for prayers for my kids in my class, my son, and the family of a wonderful, wonderful, man.
    Charlie supported my students in their hatching endeavors, he came to my class to show us how to incubate, how to handle the new babies, how to ensure they were warm enough and most of all he showed them how to value the lives of all the babies we hatched.
    Charlie passed away last night, he had gone into hospice care but we thought he might have had a couple of months. I really had hoped he would last until school was out so I wouldn't have to tell the kids right away. They had made him a get well card that would have been delivered tomorrow, so we made a new card for his services instead.
    His family is donating his incubators, brooders, and other equipment to my class and school so now we will have really nice equipment to use rather than just my two small bators and the "cooler-bators" we made in class with his help.
    My son was helping take care of him and his birds and this has just devasted him. Steven will continue to care for his birds until we can place them. They are fancy and exotic types that I'm not really familiar with, and his son isn't sure what will happen with them either right now.
    Charlie's son was called back from Iraq so he was able to be here before his dad passed.
    Our projects would not have been half as successful as they were without his guidance.
    We are trying to plan a project in his memory.
    Thank you all,
    Kate

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm sorry for your loss! It takes many to teach our children and when one who is willing to come and donate time and information to our children is lost it is truly a sad day.
    [​IMG]

3. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Tell your son he is a richer person for having known Charlie.

I am sorry for you loss and pain..........

4. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    How sad but fitting that Charlie shared his knowledge with a new generation before he left this world. I think that Charlie was probably happy to know that his skills have been passed onto younger people that will care about animals in the special way that he displayed for the world to see.

I'm sure your son knows that he was given a special gift being Charlie's helper. Wisdom that is shared with the mind and heart is never forgotten.

Hugs to all that knew Charlie.

5. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thank you all. We are going over to his house after the Literary Festival today to take pics of his birds and try and find his records so we know what is what and form a plan.
    Kate

6. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    I'm so sorry. You all are in our thoughts and prayers.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Charlie sounds like a special man and I think it's wonderful that your son was touched by his life.

8. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thank you, he didn't get along well with a lot of people, but he had all the time in the world for the kids and for the birds.
    Kate

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

My neighbour, Mr. Joe, was like that too. We had such a great relationship.
    Hugs and prayers.

10. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Sorry to hear about Charlie. Sending Prayer's to his Family & all of Charlie's classroom Friends.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by