My Cochin babies are growing up!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Ksane, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    My 1st and only hatch with 16 shipped Cochin eggs off of Ebay gave me 8 precious Cochin babies. They're 5 wks old, the 1st is the darkest Blue (male I think), I've got 5 shades of Blue and 3 Splash. It's looking like there's 2 males and 6 females, that's what I'm hoping! Only 1 Splash and this darkest Blue have bigger red combs. Could this one still end up black? That'd be awesome.
    I love these babies so so much! I'm 51 yrs old and have had about every kind of animal....yet still had no idea how great chickens were!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    [​IMG] good for you they are looking great [​IMG]

3. Sonic Pug

Sonic Pug Chillin' With My Peeps

Beautiful birds. [​IMG]

4. Ksane

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Thanks to you both [​IMG] I saw a blue Cochin in someone's pen when they were having a yard sale last May and fell in LOVE with them! I'd never seen one before. They're so gentle and sweet, I just adore them.

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    My cochins are bantams and they are the sweetest things. I have 2 mille fluer,2 buffs and a silver penciled. My buffs climb up on my lap and come over to be picked up. I just love your blue one.

6. Ksane

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Mine are sweet like that, too [​IMG] I'd love to have a Mille Fleur, that color is gorgeous! Gray/blue is my favorite animal color. I've got 4 gray cats, the Donkey is gray and 2 of my dogs are solid gray. When I saw that blue Cochin a few months ago I just knew I had to have one. I do have a red Cochin bantam I got recently from someone. They said she was like 4 months old. But strangely enough she's rather mean to the other chickens. The only one she tolerates is the one who came along with her. I guess that's why the lady wanted them to go together. That one can't be around my LF Cochin babies or my Silkies because she beats them up. I did just get a real young standard black Cochin pullet who's super sweet and fit right in with my babies. Have you ever come across any Cochin bantams who were ornery to other chickens?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  7. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i have a frizzle like that, not sure if its cause she is so different than the others or what, but the others see her coming and run- almost feel sorry for her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by