1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Cochin Bantam Rooster won't eat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FrizzlesRule, Jan 27, 2010.

1. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    My six month old Cochin bantam rooster won't eat very much and has lost some weight. He looks great and healthy. Beautiful red comb and wattles. Won't leave the hens alone and crows his head off. Shows no signs of any illness except a bit of weight loss from not eating. He's been doing this for a bout a week. Only eats human corn, lettuce, a bit of grass and nuts, won't hardly touch any regular chicken feed.[​IMG]

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Have you switched feed on him, or are you trying to feed pellets? You could make his feed into a mash with warm water, add some plain yogurt to make it super yummy.

3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    See if he is interested in scrambled eggs?

4. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Oh, I forgot to mention, yes he does eat cooked eggs. I don't feed my bantams pellets unless I crunch them up, usually I buy crumbles. He's seems fine, crowing more than ever, chasing the hens, but still limited eating. He did eat some birdseed last night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by