1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Cochin Hen Needs A Quick Cure!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lilrosey89, Feb 16, 2008.

1. lilrosey89

lilrosey89 New Egg

Feb 16, 2008
    Hi, my name is Diana. Recently, 3 days ago my dog attacked one of my Cochin Hens, she had a deep wound on her left side near her tail feathers, she limped badly. I saw that if nothing was to be done quickly... she would've lost a lot of blood and could've lost her little life. I cleaned the wound out really good and made sure that there was nothing in it and I stitched her (in total 36 stitches). I've never had any experience in that, knowing that I'm only 18 but thank God she survived and her fever left. She is eating properly and drinking a lot of water, I've been disinfecting the wounded area and she is starting to walk now, she seems happy to me but sadly I checked her this morning and I believe she has a bad infection building up now, it swelled up in one area about the size of a golf ball and it's greenish blue, stinks badly, like rotten, my father said that he doesn't think she'll make it but if she wasn't eating, drinking or walking knowing how she couldn't walk at all, then I would agree with him. [​IMG] She is needing some type of antibiotic and I'm wanting to know what I can do or what antibiotic to give her. If you think she won't be able to make it and the infection has eaten her flesh in that area then I would like to know for sure. I hope there's a chance.... Please, if I could get some advice & answers, I would really appreciate it. Thank you! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  2. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Sorry, I don't know enough about poultry medicine yet, to advise which antibiotic or the dosage, but if the wound is not healed shut yet, you should snip a stich or two or three near the bottom of the wound so it can drain some of the puss out. You could even express GENTLY a little bit of it to get it flowing out. Sometimes at the hospital we will do what we call a wet to dry dressing. You can stick a CLEAN damp (not wet) cloth in the wound and cover with a dry cloth. You should pull it out and change it for a clean one twice day. This way the wound will heal from the inside out. When you pull the damp cloth out it will pull the infection out with it and it also acts as a wick to pull it out the infection while it is in there!!

I would also try some Poly-visol an infant's vitamin drop found at any pharmacy. Good luck!!! And keep us posted.

Edited to add: DANG IT!! I keep posting under Jess's, but this is Suz!! Sorry!!!!!! I need to be more concientious about checking the name before I hit post reply!

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    The wound needs to be cleaned out again with sterile water(water boiled 10 minutes and let cool).

If you have a Tractor supply or other farm store see if they have PenG or straight penicillin. Inject 0.5 CC as close to the wound as possible into muscle.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Neosporin Antibotic cream is good to keep on wounds too......

5. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    sounds like she has a severe infection or gang green started, my guess would be gang green she probably has about a 30% survival chance if u can clean it and get it under control fast enough. 36 stitches is alot i assume it is very severe.

i would cut any feathers close to wound away and cut the stitches and open it back up. use sterile saline or antibackterial soap and cleans it good get as much puss or what not out and as clean as much and as good as possible. i'd get bag balm a walmart and bacitracin zinc. the balm is also same thing as utter butter and in pharmocy aisle the other is in baby aisle both a few dollars each. put bag balm on the wound it is a drawing salve and will help pull out infection, use dry bandage over it. change banfdage as nesisary. once the infection does not pull out and seap on bandages anymore use the bacitracin zinc to heal it DO NOT USE more than 9 dayds or the body will depend on it to heal.

go to a feedstore get terramycin(terracyclene) it is a powder antibiotic also get powdered electrolytes/vitamin combo pack to help boost energy should be about $10 for both of them. add to the waterer for her the dose for the antibiotic is 4tsp per gallon of water for 10 days. the other i can't remember off hand but will say on the back of the package. antibiotic can be doubled first day only to boost it. keep her inside warm and where it is dark to comfort her so she can rest a box, a small dog crate ect. keep an eye on her.

i'm gonna post this so u can see it quicker and i'll reread see if i missed anything if ya need more help post so we can try to help ya through it.
    silkie

forgive spelling my keyboard sticks. yes injection will work also as stated above they don't have those here.

6. lilrosey89

lilrosey89 New Egg

Feb 16, 2008
    [​IMG] I've cut off a few stitches and the wound is healed closed now, I don't think she'll survive with the infection spreading and i'm afraid that it's way too big for it to cure now. The smell is horrible, smells dead to be exact. I wouldn't want her to suffer any longer. I do appreciate all the help and advices... Maybe if this happens again down the road... I will know for sure what to do. Thank you very much for yalls help and concern.

7. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    yes i agree putting her down would be the best because that type of infection will spread quickly and most likely she will die anyway. but if let go she will also be in severe pain which i didn't think of that before. it's honestly the best thing you could do for her and will be very hard, i've been there. you've tried everything you could do.
    hugs,
    silkie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by