My cochin might be a brahma..

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by StrawberryHouseMouse, Apr 13, 2009.

1. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I originaly bought this chick thinking it was a cochin. He came out of the assorted pile at the feed store. Because of his color and feathered legs I assumed it was a cochin. And a lot of people on the forum said so as well. That he was defiantly a black cochin. But as time has passed and he is almost 2 weeks old now. He is getting lots of feathering and getting bigger. He is now out grown my RIR hen who is the same age and sporting some very dark braham like color patterns.

His leg feathers are turning grey, wings are tipped with greyish white and then turn black on up to the shoulder.

Having owned dark brahmas in the past I'm starting to see a pattern here in his colors.

Does anyone have any photos of brahma chicks? Both before being feathered out and during the feathered out stage ?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    That should be easy enough. What is the comb developing like? Brahmas have pea combs, cochins single.

Here's some pics:
    Thor at approximately 2 weeks old:
    [​IMG]
    Dark brahma chicks at approx. 5 weeks old:
    [​IMG]

3. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Does pea comb mean that it doesnt look like he has a comb at all? Cause thats how it looks to me. Like he doesnt have a comb at all.. Its just flat and smooth

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:If you like at that pic of Thor, see how his comb is kinda wide, but not tall?
    It's pretty flat at that stage, with little bumps (or peas) on it.

5. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    My little guy will be 2 weeks old on Friday. Here is a photo I took of him a few days ago. (He has feathered out more since then.) He doesnt look quite like your brahma chick though color wise. Or does that matter? He is a greyish color with a lot of black on his back and a lot of white on his belly. His wing feathers are coming in nicely and they are a greyish white on the tips with black farther in to the shoulder. His legs are turning grey as well as feathers are coming in good there also.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Remember these where taken a few days ago. Its amazing how much they change in such a short amount of time. I would take some updates but my camera's batteries have died on me. I need to get some more batteries tomorrow.

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    He's not a brahma. Cochin would be my guess. One thing I definitely know him to be is cute as a button. [​IMG]

7. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    darn, I was sort of hoping he would be . lol my hubby got me fond of the idea of a "guard chicken" with a little sign and all posted on the gate XD

8. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Looks like a cochin to me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by