My Cochin Rooster is the Best Ever!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lockedhearts, Nov 19, 2008.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Last night I got home and was trying to get horses fed and make sure the chickens were all snuggled up since it was going to the 20's.
    My cochin roo, Rhett is in with 2 Cochin hens, 2 BO hens, A RIR and 3 Wyandottes, they typically stay out in the run all huddled together, I did put lights on my younger juvies outside, my bantam pair and 2 young RIR cockerels, they are al in small pens and figured extra heat with just a couple chickens was better.
    All my cochins etc I went ahead and put a heat lamp in the 8 x 8 coop

When I went to go in the run, Rhett is standing there and all the girls, all 8 of them were underneath him to some degree.I see chicken butts sticking out from behind him, under his wings and his chest. It was so cute to see him protecting his girls from the cold. Unfortunately it was almost dark so I couldn't get a pic. I hope he does it again, I will be home earlier tonight and can try to get a pic then.

2. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    That is very sweet. My silkie roo has a "each man for himself" attitude when it comes to bedtime. He has his little corner he sleeps in and off he goes when the time is right.

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

My brahma roo does that with the bantys I have also. It is so cute.

4. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Awwwwwww how sweet. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by