My cochin stopped laying, normal right?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nicole01, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Daisy was giving me an egg every other day solid for weeks. A few weeks ago she stopped laying all together. I'm assuming this is normal since it's almost winter here. She is not broody either, zero interest in the nest.

Also, my Wyandotte has never laid an egg and she is 7 months old. She has been squatting for over 3 months, but has not produced one single egg. Are there chickens who never lay? I don't mind, but it seems odd. My neighbor has wyandottes a month younger then mine and both her's are laying eggs.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi Nicole!

The weather could definitely be the reason why your cochin isn't laying. It's a mystery, though, as to why you haven't gotten a single egg from your wyandotte yet, and she's been squatting for three months. Do you free range them? Could she have a secret nesting spot where she likes to lay, and you haven't found it yet?

Maybe she is sneaking over to your neighbor's place.......

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:I haven't been free ranging since we have about 6 hawks in the area for very long. I take a large stick with me in case of an attack. I spend a lot of time in the coop and I know when everyone is laying. There is nowhere to hide in the coop either.

If she snuck to the neighbors house, she would be in for a big surprise.lol They have a rooster. Their flock has come over to visit mine when mine are in the coop/run. They do seem to all like each other. Maybe I'll hatch a couple eggs this spring. I could use a couple more hens for eggs.[​IMG]

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Gee, I'm out of ideas for your wyandotte........I wonder if she's just a late bloomer.....real late......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by