My cochin... what color?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sierrarod, Oct 7, 2011.

1. sierrarod

sierrarod Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    Reedley
    She is lighter than a buff, but she is not white. Is there another color or is she just a light buff? Her name is Fifi, and I just love her. Yes, you needed to know that! Ha ha... actually, she was an "ooops" bird that I bought as a chick and was supposed to be a different breed. And now... she is my favorite! Life is full of wonderful surprises. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. karabbitry

karabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Well I am not good at correct color naming, but she is definately not Cochin. I think she is a cross of some sorts with a Faverolle. If this is the case I would say she is some form of a diluted wheaton or salmon. Once again not good on colors.

3. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    looks to be either a EE/cochin mix or salmon faverolle/cochin mix...

4. sierrarod

Jan 19, 2011
    Reedley
    Oh wow, I didn't know she was a mix. Thanks for the input. The breeder didn't have Favarolle's. She does have Wheaten Marans and Splash & black EE's, & buff Orpingtons.

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Probably an EE cross then with that beard/muffs

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Looks like 1/4 EE with a body and single comb like that.

The color isn't buff though, no. Looks to me like a poorly colored Wheaten with either white or splash in her, possibly some Columbian too.

7. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    cochin/EE mix and uhhhh.... a cockerel i think [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  8. sierrarod

Jan 19, 2011
    Reedley
    Really, a cockerel?!?! She has never crowed, and her hatchmates have been crowing for months. I 'thought' she was laying a light egg, but maybe I am wrong since she is in with other hens. Do others think it is a cockerel? I am new to this, so obviously, I don't know a thing! Many thanks to each of you who has responded!

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    are the hackle feathers (feathers around the neck) long slinder and pointed? they look like they are and that would mean that she is really a roo

10. sierrarod

Jan 19, 2011
    Reedley
    So, here is another photo of him/her. I also remember seeing my Orpington Rooster mounting her. Would he do that if she was a he?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by