My Cochin's Roosters or Hens??? 8wks old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bossynbella, Aug 3, 2008.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    We got these St. Run Cochins from McMurray in June. They where 8 wks old when these pictures where taken. 9wks now.

First are the Two Silver Laced Cochins
    This one is larger and has ALOT more feathers.
    [​IMG]

This one has alot less feathers and is smaller. I don't know if the others are pecking at it or not but it just has never gotten the feathers on its back or part of the chest.
    [​IMG]

This is the largest of our two black Cochins. We ordered two blue and ended up with one blue and 2 black. Still it is a beautiful fluffy soft bird.
    [​IMG]

This is the second black smaller and also missing some feathers like the silver laced. This one has just started to get the feathers on its back and chest in.
    [​IMG]

This is the only true blue Cochin we got.
    Boy or girl its the only one named. We call it Rogue from X-men.
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance. I have no idea on sex none seem to have redder combs or anything and none have crowed or anything either.
    Melissa

2. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    they all look female!

3. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    I have to agree, they all look like hens. The 2nd one could be a roo whose growth has been stunted by picking. I got 6 cochins from Murray, probably the same hatch as you (May 31), 3 have big combs and wattles and 3 don't. So, the fact your's have no red in the combs would lead me to believe hens.

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Pullets.

5. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Look like girls to me too...You got lucky...I got lucky too but mine are from Ideal I got 3f and 1m.

6. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I would agree with everyone else...all girls! my little guy at 8 weeks had quite the comb and wattles!!

7. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    :eek: All Pullets it looks like, and you ordered straight run? What luck! [​IMG]

8. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Thats what I thought too. How ordering 4 st.run and getting one extra did I end up with all pullets! Wouldn't it figure the one time I wanted one to be a rooster I ended up with all girls. Oh well Now I have a reason to go get another Cochin! lol
    Thanks everyone.
    Melissa

9. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    They look like pullets.

Oh, and btw, your "blue" cochin is actually a splash. When bred to black, you'll get all blue offspring.

10. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    yes-pullets. You are so lucky! I almost never get pullets with my cochins for some reason!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by