My cockatoo might have laid an egg

Devan lussier

Hatching
May 22, 2015
Greensboro Bend, Vermont
I was told my U2 is a male but he prefers my husband over anyone else. I was told male birds perfer women and vise versa. His eyes appear to dark brown but look red when he's outside. No one mention him ever laying eggs before but I don't have too much info on previous owners. I don't even know if this is possible but last fall before it got too cold for Buddy to be outside we had him outside on his perch. He loves to be outside where neighbors can come admire him. Well a police officer stopped to ask us a question and tried to approach Buddy. His behavior prompted us to stop the officer before he got bit and my husband brought Buddy inside. I've never seen him react this way. He seemed very upset and keep saying "im scared, im scared". We didnt think much of it just made a mental note that Buddy doesn't like men in uniforms. I went outside the next morning and I found a strange egg on the front stairs. I brought it in and showed my husband who has never seen one like it either. I've seen pictures of U2 eggs and this egg was identical. Is it possible that Buddy dropped this egg while being carried inside and only because he was scared. I keep calling him a he but now not too sure. I haven't seen an egg sense but he / she does try to nest on certain things. Is that normal for a male to do?

nchls school

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Tennessee
I was told my U2 is a male but he prefers my husband over anyone else. I was told male birds perfer women and vise versa. His eyes appear to dark brown but look red when he's outside. No one mention him ever laying eggs before but I don't have too much info on previous owners. I don't even know if this is possible but last fall before it got too cold for Buddy to be outside we had him outside on his perch. He loves to be outside where neighbors can come admire him. Well a police officer stopped to ask us a question and tried to approach Buddy. His behavior prompted us to stop the officer before he got bit and my husband brought Buddy inside. I've never seen him react this way. He seemed very upset and keep saying "im scared, im scared". We didnt think much of it just made a mental note that Buddy doesn't like men in uniforms. I went outside the next morning and I found a strange egg on the front stairs. I brought it in and showed my husband who has never seen one like it either. I've seen pictures of U2 eggs and this egg was identical. Is it possible that Buddy dropped this egg while being carried inside and only because he was scared. I keep calling him a he but now not too sure. I haven't seen an egg sense but he / she does try to nest on certain things. Is that normal for a male to do?

Eggs break easy. I doubt your cockatoo laid an egg while being carried and have it land on a stair unbroken. Other than laying an egg there is no positive way to sex cockatoos other than DNA testing. I raise sun conures and hand feed them. The ones my wife cares for prefer women. The ones I hand feed prefer men; but not always. After years of raising parrot type birds I see no connection between the sex of the bird and the sex of the owner and preference.

Top Bottom