My cockerel can't walk and has a weak or bent leg.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silverwarrior, Jul 4, 2016.

1. silverwarrior

silverwarrior Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2016
    My 4.5 months old cockerel was fine until a week ago.one day, he just couldnt walk and kept his right leg bent as if he is too weak to support himself. There is no visible injury. He stays very low and sits down the moment I touch him. When he walks, he limps with apparent difficult. His left leg seems to be fine. I tried feeding him fish oil capsules but nothing happened. Its been like this for a week. Help?!!?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are his toes curled under? He could have a leg bone deformity which has led to a tendon issue. Sprains are also common. I would give him poultry vitamins with minerals, and keep him caged with the rest of the chickens, with his own food and water for a week or two to rest his leg. If he is no better in a week, then keep him caged, and check again in a week. Here is some reading:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1051/leg-health-in-large-broilers/
    https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_intertarsal_joint_in_broiler_chickens

3. silverwarrior

May 11, 2016
    Found him dead yesterday morning.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh that is too bad. Was he vaccinated for Mareks disease? If you have any other birds showing similar signs of lameness or wings or neck drooping, I would do some research on Mareks. The state vet or poultry testing lab can do a necropsy on chickens to look for Mareks, but the body must be refrigerated. Sorry for your loss.

5. silverwarrior

May 11, 2016
    Yes one of the little chicks is showing same signs. Bug he just stands there and even sleeps while standing and looks really ill. I think it's the same disease. As to being vaccinated I don't know whether any of them were vaccinated. Now might be too late.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is the chick? Mareks symptoms usually don't show up too early in young chicks. It can affect chickens between 3-25 weeks commonly, but I would always recommend treating with vitamins and electolytes in case of vitamin defiency.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by