1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My cockerel has become agressive since my hen became broody :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nephtis, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Nephtis

Nephtis New Egg

Dec 28, 2011
    UK
    I have 4 black orps. One decided to get broody couple weeks ago but I kept moving the eggs. Yesterday my cockerel, who I must say has always been a very protective chap decided I wasnt allowed in the run. He pecked my legs and ran round staying between me and the hens. All the while being extremely vocal. I realised my hen was sitting again, so for the sake of 4 eggs I have left her to do her thing.

I threw some food in and left. Watching him was amazing, clucking and lifting the food to let the hens know there was food to be had. He even took some into the shed and dropped it for the broody hen!!

I know its probably just a protective thing but is this likely to get worse or will he calm down once he knows I am leaving his girl alone? He is a big chap, luckily no spurs but he can throw a hell of a peck.

Advice please.
    Thanx

2. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like he is just being a good dad and he probably knows that you take his eggs away on occasion, so he's preventing that. He sounds very cute. Let them have a brood :)

Maybe if you give him a treat or two like mealworms, he'll see you as positive again?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  3. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    i would not allow him to give food to the broody she might soil the nest but yea amazing rooster try block off the broody

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Fairly normal behavior, but do not allow him to get away with the aggression - it may escalate. You are bigger. Assure him that you are the BOSS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by