My cockerel is challenging an older hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by azygous, Dec 12, 2013.

1. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    At first, my six-month old Buff Brahma cockerel Izzy would stand in front of two-year old EE Flo and flare his hackles. She would raise her wings to half mast and he would jump straight up and run away screaming in fear.

That was a month ago. Now he's getting in her face and doing the cobra routine, elevating his head and neck up and down, both of them growling in subdued voices as Flo tries to stand her ground. This occurred yesterday, and after a half a minute of this display, Flo ran away, screaming in hysterical fear.

I didn't think this would happen between a young roo and an older hen. What gives? Is this going to escalate to the point I'll have a bloody fight on my hands?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Normal cockerel/rooster behavior. He is working his way up to the top of the pecking order. Sometimes this results in fighting, but it can also be a gradual not overly violent transition.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Thanks! I hope that's all it is. He just began crowing this week, too. He's strutting around, acting like he's pretty important.

He's still scared of me, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by