My cockerel sounds like a squeaky toy!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kuhnse51, Feb 7, 2015.

1. kuhnse51

kuhnse51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    He was fine when I first came down then he started crowing (he's just started learning how) then next thing I know he's making this constant sound when he breaths in and out and keeps trying to sneeze/cough. He still keeps on eating though....what should I do or will he resolve this himself?

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I would almost let him resolve it himself but just keep a watchful eye on him just in case something else pops up symptom-wise, is his pen clean? Ammonia is one of the most common causes of sneezing and coughing.

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Check his nares to ensure he has not blocked them with food...

I would offer him a little olive oil...soaked bread...he may have eaten something which could be lodged in his neck...a dusty environment can also cause such symptoms....

4. kuhnse51

Aug 19, 2014
    Yeah it's clean and the coughing/sneezing noise he's making sounds as if he's trying to get something out. It sounds like something is caught in there especially since this noise came right out of the blue. I'm in the coop with them every day for at least a half hour or more and I've never heard this noise from any of my birds before. I'm hoping if something did get lodged in his trachea he can eventually get it out. He was still doing fine the last time I checked on him but still making the noise on and off. :/

5. kuhnse51

Aug 19, 2014
    @suzie I just saw your reply and I will try that if he is still making the noise tomorrow. I found this video from an old post on BYC...this is the sound that he is making. The post I found it on said their bird stopped doing this after about a day. I tried looking in his mouth and didn't seem to see anything.... here's the video

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That sound is known as stridor, which is caused by something in the airway, even mucus, swollen tissue, food, or something else he has swallowed. It is common with a respiratory disease, but many birds will have this, and then it disappears. Susie's suggestion was good.

7. kuhnse51

Aug 19, 2014
    Okay thanks! Its nice to have a name for it because it's hard to describe.

8. kuhnse51

Aug 19, 2014
    Everythings cleared up today!He was still making a little noise yesterday on and off so I used some vetrx for good measure and I didn't hear anything from him today!

9. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Thanks for updating on him...great to know he is back to normal now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by