My Collie, Patsy Watching her new babies (with pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by noodleroo, May 12, 2010.

1. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    My Rough Coat Collie, Patsy, (a Lassie kind of collie) is really gentle with other animals. She is a house dog-its really hot in the summers here-an absolute joy in my life. Its only natural that she be in from the beginning with my new peeps! When I check the chicks, she checks them with me. Oddly enough, the chicks don't act afraid of her (or me) when we stick our head/hand, respectively, in the brooder. I don't necessarily recommend trusting your dog or cat with the little chicks so the pics following come with a 'don't try this at home' disclaimer. I'll get more/better pics of my babies later this week:
    Patsy inspecting:
    [​IMG]
    Patsy Inspecting (I'm using a 100 watt yellow bulb)
    [​IMG]
    My BOs and 'peanuts':
    [​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Awww! [​IMG]

3. babypeeps

babypeeps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    cute

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    That is so cute,, my Chihuahua loves her babies too!

5. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    Very cute. What kind of chicks are they?

6. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    Very sweet pics. Our Boxer Gunner is in love with our chicks.

7. fastpat

fastpat Chillin' With My Peeps

Be very careful, dogs can react to a chick trying to jump on things, resulting in a terrible tragedy. Herd dogs are usually pretty good around other species, but I'd still be careful.

8. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Thank you all. The yellow chicks are buff orpington pullets and the dark 'striped' ones are silver laced wyandotts (I think), in this case; packing peanuts. They are all so adorable and sweet. I love to hold them. I just lose track of time. It takes a long time to pick up and hold 21 chicks! I wish I would have taken a picture last night of Patsy and Sock-a-roo (16 yr old, 22 lb cat) with some of the chicks. Under supervision, of course, we let the chicks climb on them. They really liked Patsy's long, thick hair!

9. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Fastpat, you are absolutely right. Patsy is a very special dog, but she still is a dog. She is really smart and knows words and is obediance trained. That means that she knows I'm the boss and what's mine is mine and I let her know what is hers, what she can eat and when she can eat. She knows that she is not to hurt or be rough with other animals or children. She really is a good dog and naturally gentle.

10. Rowtag

Rowtag Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Ah, another person with a rough collie that loves its chickens. Ours decided that my chicks were hers, she would herd them back into the pen and has been great predator prevention. I have a few pictures of her with banties riding around on her back. Now if I could just teach the newfie puppy that live ducks are not to be retrieved we would be good to go (the newf is great with chickens, but ducks look like tasty treats).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by