My colorful flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Henrietta23, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    When I ordered chicks this spring I got caught up in a frenzy of "two of these, two of those" and ended up with 11 pullets in addition to the two older hens I have had for years and two of the roosters we hatched this winter. (And that doesn't count the 4 ducks....)
    They are still penned up but we're getting ready to let them loose in our fenced in backyard. Guess that's not really loose, but you know what I mean! [​IMG]
    The red star's combs are just a little pinker than the others. I'm thinking they'll probably lay first. We're enjoying them so much. I've never had this many at once. I could just sit on the deck and watch them for hours. Oh, wait, today I did! It was HOT AND HUMID. Yuck!!

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Beautiful flock.

My Red Star (red sex-link) laid our first egg when she was 17 1/2 weeks old.

3. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Cool! I have to do math here.... mine hatched April 9th if I remember correctly... I think that makes them 13 weeks. Shouldn't be too long now!

4. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    They look great! Is that George's fluffy butt I see [​IMG] We need pictures of those ducks!

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    That is a very interesting looking silkie rooster. More pics of him please????

6. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Yes, that would be George's butt. So if you counted 12 in there you're not mistaken! 11 pullets plus George. I'll upload some pics of the ducks...

7. chickensista

chickensista Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    Purty girls! I love watching the girls roam the yard - such happy clucks.

8. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    beautiful!!! but i may be bias, if you had a few wyndottes and white birds you'd have my flock right there!

9. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Here's one from two months ago when he was still an ackward teen. [​IMG]
    His father was a buff silkie. Mom could have been white, black or buff, I think. I'm thinking white but not sure.

10. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think he is wicked cool looking!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by