My colour experiment results hatching now..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckyfromoz, Jan 19, 2011.

1. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    After borrowing ducks from a friend to help along my colour breeding project- I was hoping for something other than Harlequin and Cinnamon to hatch...and finally last night they did!! With one more still drying off in the bator- I have three fawn ducklings now with a few others pipped. Its so nice to have something a different colour for a change. And while I wont be keeping any of the dark ones myself..they sure are cute

[​IMG].

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    And that is exactly why I try not to look at duckling pictures. Even this jaded old man has toadmit that they are cute.[​IMG]

3. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

So who are the parrents?

All my ducklings that hatched last night are mixed.. wont know exact percentages until adult plumage start.

Ive got Rouen, Hybrid 300, Blue Swedish, and Herlequin

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Oh my, that's a cute photo! I love the little one biting the foot of his sibling. And, it's sharp and clear, too!

ETA: They all look like they're going to gang up on that one on the right and he knows it, too!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I breed Cinnamon and Harlequin Runners- but borrowed a Cinnamon and a fawn duck from a friend. So they are from Harlequin and Cinnamon drakes- Fawn and Cinnamon Ducks. I expected a mix of colours - and plan to grow out most of the ducklings rather than sell them as I wont know the exact parentage of some until their final molt the same as yours. I know that these are from the fawn duck- but I wont know which drake - as they are like mom - and the fathers are too similar in colouring to determine which it may have been .

6. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] way to cute, just you send all the none coloured ones over to me ill sit and [​IMG] over them in my yard [​IMG]

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I actually am going to be fostering some of these out. My daughter was given two barnevelder chicks to raise along with her others They are going home today- maybe tomorrow.. And the lady who also breeds White Indian Runners has asked if I can lend her some coloured ducklings to raise. She hasnt had a great season herself this year- with so much rain spoiling the nests of hers, and she would love some more ducklings to raise, and like me- she thinks something a different colour would also be a novel idea.

The next little one is out- also a fawn, It had pipped the wrong end of the egg. I saw it was unzipping earlier- and then had its head out, and an hour later it was still being a turtle duck...So I had to break off some of the shell so it could get the rest of its body and legs out.

[​IMG]

Unlike the little one in my avatar- this little guy was really stuck- but is now much happier and in the brooder with the others.

8. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    loooooooook the little one i said i want to steal yesterday is still posing. i wish i could go steal the baby from you!!!

9. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    So She is !! I guess I have a photogenic little Princess duck on my hands .... [​IMG] Lucky for me I am in Australia then - I want to keep that little one around until she is all grown.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They are adorable! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by