My Columbian Quartet Seriously Stumps Me

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FMAFarms, May 19, 2011.

1. FMAFarms

FMAFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Rural Michigan
    This quartet of Columbian Wyandottes hatched on March 11. I ordered one boy and two girls, and I got an extra roo as a bonus chick. For the life of me I cannot tell which are the boys and which are the girls. Two of them have the pointy hackle feathers that would indicate that they are boys, but these are also the ones whose backs have been partially bared by treading. One is plump with lovely white feathers, and I would have thought she's a girl, but she is also the one with the wattles. The fourth is very similar to this third, but this one has no wattles.

Can you please help me determine which are the roos and which are the girls?

Chick #1, "N":

[​IMG]

Chick #2, "W":

[​IMG]

Chick #3, "L":

[​IMG]

Chick #4, "M":

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. bantamsrmyfav

bantamsrmyfav Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    US & Canada
    it's hard to tell, they look all like roos to me but if one of them turns out to be a pullet it'd be the 2nd one.

3. Lisa7907

Lisa7907 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    I think that "N" and "L" are your roos. The other 2 look like pullets.

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    If no mistakes were made, I would say 2 and 4 are your pullets. But, to me, #2 seems like the only one. I am not familiar with the breed though. Good luck!

5. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Quote:I agree [​IMG]

6. FMAFarms

FMAFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Rural Michigan
    That's what I thought, too -- N (Nigel) and L (Lou) as roos, W (Winifred) and M (Miss Terry) as pullets. But then what is going on with Nigel and Lou, that their backs are feather-bare, as if someone was treading their backs? They're in only with females, W, M, and 6 SLW pullets. Is it possible that N and L are beating each other up and doing this damage to each other in a show of dominance? None of my other roos (we've got 10 others of different breeds) have ever done this to each other... they just do their little domination dances and peck at each other's heads/necks, and they're done. This kind of damage is just bad, bad, bad. N's right wing along the joint is as bare as his back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by