My combs on my 1 week old chicks, are they the hens i want???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by k2chickens, Apr 22, 2009.

1. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Just got my very first chickens since i was 8 rs old!!! im 22 now lol.

I bought them from a farm all straight run. It seems three of our baby chicks have very flat combs at this age, where as the other 2 have very suttle "spikey" combs. I was told that the combs are a way of sexing them, and that larger "more apparent" combs are indications of the roo's. I'm not sure on the breed but i did the "feather" sexing method and they all have 2 rows of diff. length feathers. It's KILLING me that i do not know the sex of my chick's...and im only on the first week!!![​IMG] And with people still un-sure here on the forum of their babies at week 5...it looks like im outta luck at the moment.

So, any words of wisdom guy's????

PICTURES ARE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST A FEW POST'S DOWN

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2009
  2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Breed?
    Pictures???

FWIW mine are 11 days and their combs all look the same to me. My RIR roos definitely lack tail feathers though. I could tell one of them from day one (well they were about 3 days old then), but at that point it was just a guess, now I'm about 99% sure.

3. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    I agree with Tala, without breed info and pics it is pretty much impossible for us to tell you anything.

4. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    [​IMG]
    From California
    There is plenty of help here. The pictures for roo id a needed though.

5. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    getting pics here shortly

pics!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]
    here are my chicks....the seller told me they are mixed breed.

Here are the two of the 5 im worried about being roo's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2009
  6. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    [​IMG]

7. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:lol just beat my edit!! pics are now up

8. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Different breeds get combs at different times. If they were purebreds, you might be able to figure them out, but since they're mixed you're going to have to wait a lot longer (unless someone can figure out the mix).

9. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:good point, thank you!!! I almost want to go get 2 more just incase i get 2 roo's lol, but even then i might run the risk of getting more roo's lol. My goal was 5 hens...i just hope i can reach it. Ideal'y i want all my chick's to grow up at the same time...so im fighting weather to go back to pick more up or not.

10. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    are they too young to tell???? i learned today that if the comb starts to turn to a darker color...it's a roo???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by