My combs on my 1 week old chicks, are they the hens i want???

k2chickens

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
New Castle, Indiana
Just got my very first chickens since i was 8 rs old!!! im 22 now lol.

I bought them from a farm all straight run. It seems three of our baby chicks have very flat combs at this age, where as the other 2 have very suttle "spikey" combs. I was told that the combs are a way of sexing them, and that larger "more apparent" combs are indications of the roo's. I'm not sure on the breed but i did the "feather" sexing method and they all have 2 rows of diff. length feathers. It's KILLING me that i do not know the sex of my chick's...and im only on the first week!!!
lol.png
And with people still un-sure here on the forum of their babies at week 5...it looks like im outta luck at the moment.

So, any words of wisdom guy's????

PICTURES ARE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST A FEW POST'S DOWN

Last edited by a moderator:
Breed?
Pictures???

FWIW mine are 11 days and their combs all look the same to me. My RIR roos definitely lack tail feathers though. I could tell one of them from day one (well they were about 3 days old then), but at that point it was just a guess, now I'm about 99% sure.

getting pics here shortly

pics!!!!!!!!!!

DSC01074.jpg

here are my chicks....the seller told me they are mixed breed.

Here are the two of the 5 im worried about being roo's

DSC01070.jpg

DSC01069.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
good point, thank you!!! I almost want to go get 2 more just incase i get 2 roo's lol, but even then i might run the risk of getting more roo's lol. My goal was 5 hens...i just hope i can reach it. Ideal'y i want all my chick's to grow up at the same time...so im fighting weather to go back to pick more up or not.

Back
Top Bottom