My Completed Coop And Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Allagash, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Allagash

Allagash Out Of The Brooder

I got my first flock of chicks back at the end of May and built this coop and run during June while the chics were growing in a pen in the garage. The coop was actually bought from someone who was downsizing their flock. It was previously a kids tree house that they converted. I bought it from them for $400 and moved it on my trailer to my shop. I then spent another $400 making repairs and upgrades and staining it as it was sort of rough looking and I wanted it perfect before bringing it home for my wife to see ("if Momma ain't happy...ain't nobody happy" holds true in my house).

I used cedar posts instead of pressure treated as I'm a fan of the rustic look. Also, we dug down a solid foot and back away from the coop almost two feet to ensure predators wouldn't get in the run. So far it's worked....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This picture was taken before I built the run:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wind block installed on part of the run. I bought the plastic panels at the Home Depot:

[​IMG]

"Smoke" UV block plastic over half of the roof of the run to keep the birds cool and dry if they want to hang outside:

[​IMG]

The next two pictures show the interior chain link fence partition I put up when I introduced some new birds to the flock a in July. I separated them for a couple of weeks until they all got along then pulled half of it back. I kept it in place so I can use it again once I get new birds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  2. PeepsAreForMe

PeepsAreForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Pemberton Borough, NJ
    That is adorable! Do you have to crawl in the little door to clean it?

3. Allagash

I'm 6'2" and have to bend over pretty far but not crawl. It's no fun but I can handle it.

4. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Oh my Gosh! It is sooo cute. Love the red and the cedar posts. (I'm looking at Runs lately as I've got to get mine done and added on to the coop). And any good husband knows about the "Momma" thing! [​IMG]

5. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Do you have some inside pictures? Would love to see how you have it set up!

6. Allagash

Thanks for all of the compliments! We sure worked hard on it all. I'll take some pictures tonight and post them up.

7. Allagash

I just put up a bunch more pictures including the interior...

8. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    i love the use of barked timber logs

make is look so cool and rustic

real gem of a coop that is

9. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I like how you attached that Run to the coop. That's the way I've got to do it as I have a window I want to open on that side of the coop and want easy access from outside the run. Good to see how you attached it. the indside is just about as adorable as the outside. The nesting boxes....ALL of it is great!

10. Allagash

Thanks for the kind words. I think the way we attached the coop to the run worked out great. Also, stapling the wire to the inside of the framing of the door gave it a cleaner look. Good luck on your project!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by