1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My concern going into lockdown

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gritsar, Jan 21, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My first round of eggs are in the bator, a brinsea mini-advance and it will be soon time to lock them down. I wanted to ask this question now, rather than have to jump online in a crisis and ask.

I remember reading, either in the instruction manual or in Storey's Guide to chickens - can't remember which right now, that two days before expected hatch, when the turner stops turning you are to: remove the egg disk, fill both chambers of the water pot, and then leave it alone.

My concern is, that instead of the water pot (one chamber) only needing refilling every other day or every third day, like it said it should, I am having to fill it daily. I attribute this to the fact that our house is very dry this time of year; with both gas heat running at night and the heat pump during the day.

So, my question is - if the chambers need filling, how often can I safely do so during lockdown? I am not using a hygrometer. We'll probably purchase one eventually, but this is a fly by the seat of our pants hatch that wasn't planned and I have complete faith in the excellent quality of the brinsea to see us through.

TIA [​IMG] (Hope my ? make sense. I haven't finished my first cup of lifeblood yet)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The Brinsea MiniAdvance recovers temp VERY quickly. Just have your water warm from the tap in a measuring cup (something with a pour spout), pick up the cover, pour in the water, replace the lid. Voila!

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks Linda [​IMG] I have noticed that the temp. recovers quickly. We have a small (like 1/8th of a cup) measuring cup. I fill it about partway, with the warm water, Keith lifts the lid just a little and I fill. Takes like two seconds. I was just concerned about doing that during lockdown.
    Thanks again [​IMG]

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Goodluck. Hatching prayers being sent.

5. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    Sounds like a plan! I had the opposite problem.....humidity was higher than I wanted it to be because I live in a gosh-awful humid climate that doesn't cave even in winter. But like you, I trusted the Brinsea and it didn't let me down! Good luck! [​IMG]

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:If it was anytime of year besides the dead of winter, I'd have that same problem. I have always believed that Arkansas has Florida beat when it comes to humidity. Those arkies that have visited Florida agree with me. Come July and August the air will be too thick to breathe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by