My congested girl

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickengoober, Aug 22, 2011.

1. chickengoober

chickengoober Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Belton, TX
    So we recently bought 5 pullets from a breeder a couple hours from here and it turns out they were not in the best conditions health-wise. Not wanted to just give up on them, we have done our best as new chicken owners to keep them as comfortable as we can while we research and treat them accordingly. They are currently being treated for lice and so far, it's looking much better, however, there are still bald patched around thier necks where the nits are.

We've recently noticed them sneezing and yawning. It's seems they are extremly congested, excpessially my girl C.J. Is there anything I can do to ease her congestion and what might cause it? A bacterial infecting? a respetory infection? Right now they are dusted in Seven-dust once a week (for the lice) They're given a hearty amount of DE in both thier run, coop and dust bath. We also have put some Vet R-X on thier beaks and under thier wings. Help a chicken momma out?[​IMG]

2. misskate

misskate Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    Hey... I am dealing with a case that started with some congestion and has gotten worse. I am no expert and am seeking help here myself.... But I would feel comfortable recommending a nasal flush of salt water a couple of times a day. Is there anything happening around the eye area?

3. chickengoober

Jun 16, 2011
    Belton, TX
    I havent seen any eye discharge. They are all eating and drinking good, just congested and sneezing/yawning. I'm concerned, from some of the things I've read, it has me scared [​IMG] I'm hoping for the best, I have started a treatment of Sulmet in their drinking water. They are young, though, about 10 weeks. I'm also considering taking the sickest one to a vet, but not sure how that works, do I just find a vet that treats birds in general?

4. misskate

misskate Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    Hey. Well no runny eyes is good! Try not to get too freaked out... it doesn't help! [​IMG] I'd call around for a vet that takes care of birds... depends on your area. We live in a city and have access to some but we haven't gone to the vet yet with our birds- trying to avoid that.... But if you call a feed store or a place where you can buy chicken stuff... etc... they can be very helpful. I would try that before the vet even. We even got our medicine from a feed store... and they were so informative. Good luck!

5. chickengoober

Jun 16, 2011
    Belton, TX
    Update...I ended up taking my youngest BO to the vet (I finally found one and the vet Dr. is AWESOME-she has chickens herself)anyway, my BO C.J. was doing so poorly I thought she wasn’t going to make it. She was just wasting away it seemed and we only had had them for a little more than two weeks. She was lethargic, not really eating, always resting, congested, sneezing and yawning/gaping. Her eyes looked fine though. Anyway, all the others were still sneezing and congested, just not as bad off as her. So at the vet, she gave me some Baytril for the congestion and sneezing and gave me some Ivomec for a womer...just in case they had them. Some of them had runny poo. I'm not sure if the runny poo was because of worms or just being sick. I kept CJ in a pet carrier in my bathroom all day after we got home from the vet and she just rested pretty much the whole time in there. Then, around six she was chirping and getting active, so we took her outside to do some free ranging, and immediately ran to her coop/run and chirped her little head off wanting in there with her peeps. She is SO much better now. The vet gave me enough to treat all my girls. We are sure one of the girls is a guy though and I am SO bummed about that. I don’t want a roo and now that he has been exposed to respiratory issues, I just don’t know what to do with him:( We bought these chickens from what I thought was a reputable breeder:/ They make mobile chicken barns and also sell the chickens on the side. Do you think they had this infection to begin with and the stress of rehoming them to our coop made them get sick? They were sneezing when we brought them home, even posted about that wondering if it was normal, then it just seemed to get worse after that. Should I contact this breeder and let them know what’s going on with my four girls and a guy? I was hoping to switch the roo out with a hen but now with this cold thing going on, I'm not so sure bout that. Sigh:rolleyes: Well all my chickens are doing good now as an upside. It's REALLY NOT FUN to administer oral meds to a chicken though, not fun at all. I tried the meds on the bread thing, but the baytril is too much on a piece of bread and they really don’t like that, little suckers, haha.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Did the vet actually test for anything? If it was a bacterial or viral illness, they could be carriers, even if they seem to have recovered. If fungal, the antibiotics didn't fix it, they just recovered when in a better environment and weren't contagious to begin with. That's why it's important to know what you're dealing with in the first place. I wish vets would really tell folks what the deal is rather than just give meds.

For future reference, you may want to peruse this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=560301

7. chickengoober

Jun 16, 2011
    Belton, TX
    I have another question about the CRD my girls have. I'm actually wondering if it "might" be a fungal infection. I live in Texas and as you know it’s been REALLY hot here. My girls are panting from the heat. We bought a garden mister for them, the one that hooks right up to the water hose. At first they really didn’t like it, but when I notice them panting I turn it on and it sprays part of their run and coop with mist and they come running for it and just stand there to cool off. They get noticeably wet from it and then go sun a bit, haha. They are so cute. Anyway, do you suppose this environment could have cause a fungal infection in them? The only thing I haven’t seen in any of them is crusty water eyes, eyes look normal. They all have congestion, sneezing, gaping and nasal discharge and chirping while sleeping. My smallest two have been fatigued and no appetite. They are better now that they have been on meds. I noticed that baytril is also good to treat fungal respiratory infections...hmmm:/ So what do you guys think? Fungal or not fungal according to their living conditions. I turn the mister on around one in the afternoon and it stays on till bout five sometimes six in the evening. They really love that mister.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  8. chickengoober

Jun 16, 2011
    Belton, TX
    speckledhen We posted at the same time [​IMG] I did read your link, that is what made me think maybe fungal. The vet did not test her. Maybe I should ask her if she can still do that because it would be really nice to know that my chickens are not carriers for life. Thanks for all your info, your great!

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

First, what kind of nasal discharge? Usually, that isn't part of it. Fungal infection sounds more like pneumonia, deep in their chests. The way you describe the circumstance could have set them up for that, yes, but whether or not they have something else, I can't diagnose over the net. I just wanted to point that out as a possibility. So many are thinking their birds have CRD when it is something else entirely, especially with the weather patterns and what we were all doing to keep our birds from dying in the heat over the past three months.

10. chickengoober

Jun 16, 2011
    Belton, TX
    it was clear, but looked yellow when crusted around the holes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by