My constantly under construction coop. : )

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Angelight, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Angelight

Angelight Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2012
    My chicks are about 7 weeks old and I've been working on their coop for the longest. At first, I wanted to make it as cheaply as possible, as quickly as possible. Pallets sounded like a great idea.

[​IMG]

Then, I realized that it was not what I wanted, I was constantly frustrated with trying to get them to fit. After I'd put over $200 into trying to make it work, I was done. I went through my local homeschooling group and found a carpenter. Got more materials, and he whipped up a modified Purina coop (http://poultry.purinamills.com/NUTRITIONMANAGEMENT/HenHouseHutchDesign/default.aspx).

[​IMG]

Still, it is not exactly what I wanted. In his defense, though, my materials were confusing as heck. I had to get everything chopped to the largest size I could carry in my vehicle with my car seats and children with me. Shopping with children for things that I know about is difficult enough but this... Oh, man. [​IMG] He made it work, though! I will have to go down and cut out the two sides up top for more ventilation as he only left that one piece for venting. I wanted their door closer to the front of the coop rather than in the middle for easier access. I don't blame him for the misunderstanding on those things, though. The previously mentioned children? They were running around screaming while roughhousing and my youngest was crying from teething so... [​IMG] Whatcha gonna do? The window was supposed to be hinged but he was concerned that it would not hold up well as it is an older window. He's probably right. He made a slot for it to slide into. I'm looking into more locking mechanisms but keep having to return the ones I think will work. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, here we are... After weeks of working on it, there is something to call home for the chicks. No, it is still not done. Yes, I will be making the yard bigger, adding fencing, a side roof (got to figure out how), and netting across the top, as well. The roof is corrugated that I had to have chopped to be big enough to carry, like the other materials. (The roofing was free from a local metal roofing company. They had left overs from custom orders and were going to sell it for $5 per piece prior to cutting but they were in a hurry and just rushed me out the door, telling me not to worry about paying. Oh, yeah! [​IMG]) I put hardware cloth all around the top of the coop.

I am honestly so happy to see it coming along and for them to have more room! YAHOO! I've spent about $280 in materials and paint. I paid the carpenter $100. Is that a lot of money? YES! The goal was to spend as little as possible but when my husband started telling me it was time and I HAD to buy a mod one online, I decided to give that idea the finger and spend that money on something better. For $400 they would have had practically NO room because he would have killed me if I'd spent that money and then had to make them a pen. This way, they have a nice size coop and will have plenty of room for less.

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Good Job Angelight!! Glad it worked out for you!!
    [​IMG]

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Having built two coops over the past two years, I say that $280 is a tight budget for a decent coop. You did well.

Chris

4. Angelight

Nov 4, 2012
    Thanks! I'm pretty glad, too! : )

5. RoosterMoose

RoosterMoose Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    Missouri Ozarks
    Not too bad!

6. Angelight

Nov 4, 2012
    Thanks! I just added 4 more pallets to the length of the run, costing me a total of $12! LOL! I've just requested this carpenter's quote for a small ark/tractor for a grow out pen! EEEK! Exciting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by